Mercury Eliminator w/Boss 302 vs 00 GT

My gf's father owns the Mercury Eliminator with the good old Boss 302. He's been talking a lot of trash about how much he'd own me. We're going to set up some sort of race as soon as the weather gets better. I was wondering if I had a chance at all? I'm N/A and planning on staying like that. Is there anything that I can do to make the race closer or even own him? Here are some stats on the cars;

68 - 73 Mercury Eliminator:
Boss 302
CompCams - Mild Cam (nice lobe)
CompCams - Springs
4:30's
UPR & LWR Control Arms
4 Speed
HP - Unk

00 GT
Steeda T/A
Steeda U/D Pulleys
Steeda SS GT Catback
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter
K&N Air Filter
Custom O/R H-pipe
FRPP 4:10's
HP - 252 RWHP

• Sponsors (?)

I like the new cars as much as everyone else but those old 302's don't need a whole lot to become HP beasts. I have to agree that the 302 will probably get ya but why don't ya race him and give us a vid to drool about.....

Personally, I think you'll beat him. The ole Boss 302s made like 290 GROSS horsepower, change that to net and your looking at about anywhere between 265~275 at the fly. After drivetrain losses, I would venture to say that he has less at the wheels than you do.

I can't remember the weight specs on the Eliminator, soooo.....just out drive him. :D

I wouldn't think you'll have any problem owning him. There are more than a few factors to look at here:

1) Where are you planning on racing? How far (1/4 mile, etc)? Straight or Curvy? From a stop, or a roll?

2) Traction. You've both got manual transmissions. Do you have much experience launching? Do you have any sticky tires you could bolt up? Does he?

3) Verification of the Boss 302. How do you know it's really a Boss motor? I'm not doubting the man's sense, but I've met MANY who brag without knowing the truth in reality. To him it could be a Boss 302, to everyone else it could be a 1978 302 2barrell out of a Maverick. Are you sure he's REALLY got a Boss 302?

4) Sheer driving ability. Who is the better driver?

Without knowing any of the above answers, I'd say you'll have no problem outrunning him. The words "Boss 302" strike fear in most people, but in all reality, they weren't very impressive. You've got over 30 years worth of technology in your corner, as well.

It won't even be close. You will walk away from the Cougar. Those cars weighed close to 4000 pounds, and had a lot of drivetrain loss. Those cars ran 0-60 around 7.0 to 7.5 with quarter mile times in the low 15 range. The Boss 302 Mustangs were a bit lighter and ran mid 14's at best.

Silver95Bird said:
yes, but its a Cammed Boss 302 with 4.30's... biiig difference.
The GT has 4.10s, so it's not at much of a disadvantage at all.

And a cam doesn't make that big of a difference. A difference, yes, but definately not worthy of your 3 i's. ;)

IMO, the GT will win without much trouble.

a few things, back in the day tires were much worse, i mean much worse, all track time you saw then are BS.

I think this is going to be a close race, probably a drivers race. He has the gear over you as well as the horspower, however he is heavier. anyways good luck! :nice:

IMO against his Boss 302 you'll only see taillights...assuming he gets a decent launch. BTW adding a beefier camshaft will definitely add some power to the Boss, (camshaft technology has come a long way) remember it has the huge 351 4V Cleveland heads and can move quite a bit of air up top so it will have more of an impact that just slappin in a cam to an engine with smog/lo-po heads. The Boss engines were not particulary known for down low torque but with 4.30 gears he will have more than plenty to compensate for that and get into his power range real quick. Not enough credit is given to those ol' musclecars and that usually comes back to bite a lot of folks...as mentioned earlier they were usually equipped with thin crappy tires, points distributors, choked exhaust and that definitely played a role in the e.t.s. Technology has not been lost on the 302s - aftermarket companies have spent lots of R&D on pushrod engines and there are many parts available for the musclecars and it doesn't take much to wake them up. Overhead cam technology is great but doesn't necessarily translate into a superior powerplant. The late model Mustang won't be slow but I think it may be biting off more than it can chew here.

Just one thing to remember the Boss 302 wasn't built for drag racing, but Trans Am. The thing revs to 8,000 with limiter removed. Will you both be using street tires or slicks? With sticky tires I think the Boss will beat you. I suspect the Boss will run mid-13's with cam change.

2K Stanger said:
My gf's father owns the Mercury Eliminator with the good old Boss 302. He's been talking a lot of trash about how much he'd own me. We're going to set up some sort of race as soon as the weather gets better. I was wondering if I had a chance at all? I'm N/A and planning on staying like that. Is there anything that I can do to make the race closer or even own him? Here are some stats on the cars;

68 - 73 Mercury Eliminator:
Boss 302
CompCams - Mild Cam (nice lobe)
CompCams - Springs
4:30's
UPR & LWR Control Arms
4 Speed
HP - Unk

00 GT
Steeda T/A
Steeda U/D Pulleys
Steeda SS GT Catback
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter
K&N Air Filter
Custom O/R H-pipe
FRPP 4:10's
HP - 252 RWHP

I wouldn't worry about it, he has more weight and probably less power. The Boss 302 was rated at around 300HP (at the flywheel with no accessories or exhaust). I'd just grin and let the old geezer think he has you until you find an opportune time to prove him wrong... :D

Silver95Bird said:
If you honestly believe in those 60s-early70s HP ratings, the 426 Hemi made 425 HP... ummm "I don't think so Tim." Never underestimate the competition.
You kinda have a point, but the 426 hemi is definetly not represntative of every muscle car engine. That thing was an animal just like the Ford 427 cammer. These engines had to be underrated due to the rising insurance rates of the times. But your average 289/302 would be overrated by todays standards.(Yes I know this is a BOSS302 were talking about). My girlfriend recently had a bone stock 66 coupe with the "225" hp 289 all rebuilt to stock specs and it felt like a dog compared to my 99 GT. I used to be all into the old muscle until my friend spanked me in his stock 96 z-28 with me in my pumped up 289 67 mustang. I thing the '00 GT will take the cougar.