mileage on a used mustang

mustang_5.0

Aug 16, 2007
Hi there I'm new, but I've come across these boards on occasion. Anyway, I bought my first car last year after graduating college and went the conservative route with an 02 impala (despite my urge to get a mustang), which was a great car, but I got hit and it was totaled a couple weeks ago.

So now I'm looking for a mustang gt. 99-01 ish. My question is just, how many miles is generally ok for a used mustang? I know its not really the mileage, but how the person drives it that matters, but would most of you feel comfortable buying a '00 mustang with 60-70k miles on it? I want to spend maybe around 10k. It will be a daily driver in the chicagoland area.

Till I find one i'll be driving an 86 gt that is sadly getting more rust by the day...

• Sponsors (?)

I've driven the 86 gt for years and done all the work on it and helped my brother out with his 97 cobra. But I have never really looked into buying a mustang so far, so you'll have to forgive my ignorance on it.

Another question: How many miles would you expect a '00 ish mustang gt to last? The 86 GT that I'm driving has 144k and still going strong despite all the exterior problems.

From everything I have read and seen, these engines are good for the long haul (if properly maintained of course). There are members on here throwing superchargers on their 100k+ mile cars. I hope to be one soon myself.

That's good then, I was brought up to take great care of cars...not one off our cars last less than 175k when I was growing up. 1990 Astro Van with 215k on it was my first car.

I assume since I don't plan on modifying a mustang heavily it would last a bit better, although those are probably everyones famous FIRST words. I was only thinking a few bolt ons and a new exhaust system for whatever I get. Still haven't decided on whether I'd swap the headers, installing the longtubes in a 97 cobra was NOT fun. Assume it wouldn't be much better in a later mustang.

if it was me?

good luck hunting! i would look for an older person to buy from.like an oringinal owner . try to be the third to own, but always remember cars are 50/50,and imo are shot at 100k ..owner of 2003 cobra dd with 193k and still running strong

Trust me tjmaxx, that crossed my mind...but the amount of rust on the body is not worth fixing. Secondly, I need the traction control that is on the newer mustangs since I'll be driving it through the Chicago winter. With some winter tires of course, maybe Blizzaks. I hear these mustangs handle just fine with some nice winter tires. I'll just have to find a way to keep the salt off regularly.

Bought my 99 with 94k on it. Added the vortech at 96k and it still runs great 1500 miles later. I wouldn't worry so much about the miles as the condition it's in and the mods/features of the car. If you find the perfect car with 100k on it, i'd grab it, rather than compromising things you want to get something with lower miles.

105k on mine. I have a squeeky TOB but so do alot of mustang owners. Bone dry underneath, shifts great, engine runs strong. A couple minor interior rattles, but it runs fantastic. Dont be afraid of mileage if its taken care of.