Mishimoto Radiator lasted me 10 days... and now its leaking.

turbogt

May 1, 2003
Montana
I made sure that it isn't wedged in tight...

I do NOT have my subframe connectors installed yet, but I expected it to last longer than 10 days...

It is leaking right at the Drivers side BOTTOM mount.. :nonono:

• Sponsors (?)

I've heard about this but I've heard it's attributed to body flex which is cause by no subframe connectors. Well, Paul didn't have subs on there and he didn't have any problems.

Are they going to warranty it?

I'm sure they will.. their warranty is pretty awesome, but I'm very disappointed that I barely got over a week out of it...

And i haven't been driving my car much anyways... :(

I guess I'll get my replacement one and just won't install it until I put my subs on,which I have to custom fabricate because of my side exhaust..

I guess I know what I'm doing next week....

Luckily for me, there was nothing wrong with my factory radiator.. I just installed the mishimoto because they will only get more expensive and I will need it for my future combo..

Mishimoto is garbage....Maybe they will get better one day...but they're garbage. I bought one and it pissed radiator fluid all over my freshly painted motor and aluminum parts.

Even if they replaced mine i would feel guilty selling the replacement. I bought a Visteon aftermarket Racing radiator. It has worked awesome. and is alot lighter than the Mishimoto piece. As a matter of fact the Mishimoto is so heavy it makes me wonder if its ALL aluminum. I believe Visteon makes the OEM mustang radiators.

The stories of chassis flex damaging radiators is 90% BS.....It sits on 4 rubber mounting supports. A cheap Radiator is a cheap radiator. Hell the factory ones are plastic/aluminum and hold up fine for YEARS. My Mishimoto broke in about a month....the Visteon that replaced it is almost half the weight and has worked over 1 1/2 year perfectly.

Unless you're pulling wheelies down a track....the flex is minimal.

Chris

i tend to agree with you,Chris.
i modified my rubber radiator mounts to where there is no tension on the radiator.
i can move it side to side,front to back,and up and down by hand.
and guess what?
my second mishimoto is leaking!
lower drivers side.
i also have subframe connectors,i doubt that the frame is flexing that much to put a strain on the radiator,when as you point out,the stocker was fine for years.

Mishimoto is garbage....Maybe they will get better one day...but they're garbage. I bought one and it pissed radiator fluid all over my freshly painted motor and aluminum parts.

Even if they replaced mine i would feel guilty selling the replacement. I bought a Visteon aftermarket Racing radiator. It has worked awesome. and is alot lighter than the Mishimoto piece. As a matter of fact the Mishimoto is so heavy it makes me wonder if its ALL aluminum. I believe Visteon makes the OEM mustang radiators.

The stories of chassis flex damaging radiators is 90% BS.....It sits on 4 rubber mounting supports. A cheap Radiator is a cheap radiator. Hell the factory ones are plastic/aluminum and hold up fine for YEARS. My Mishimoto broke in about a month....the Visteon that replaced it is almost half the weight and has worked over 1 1/2 year perfectly.

Chris

do you have any links to the one you bought..

I WILL need a bigger one for my setup.. I might just keep my mishimoto replacement around as a spare..

Chris

I agree. I can't see how a little bit of body flex can bend a radiator that is mounted in 4 soft rubber mounts. I think you get what you pay for. The price of the Mishimoto should be a dead give away of how reliable it's going to be. I got a Steeda radiator about 6 years ago, and it's still going strong. It was almost $400 though.

Kurt

I got mine on ebay i think. A store used to sell it.

Remember to also bolt a ground strap to the radiator. Oxidization is a Aluminum radiators enemy. Heck grounding the lower intake to the fire wall causes less oxidization as well.

OP, do you have the two row or three row Mishimoto? You may have gotten the old two row rad from a distributor by mistake... the three rows have fixed this problem. Make sure when you request for warranty they send you the three row.

I agree. I can't see how a little bit of body flex can bend a radiator that is mounted in 4 soft rubber mounts. I think you get what you pay for. The price of the Mishimoto should be a dead give away of how reliable it's going to be. I got a Steeda radiator about 6 years ago, and it's still going strong. It was almost $400 though.

Kurt

Sometimes yes sometimes no. My summit rad was $159 and no issues, easy install, lightweight and reliable company.

Sometimes yes sometimes no. My summit rad was $159 and no issues, easy install, lightweight and reliable company.

Does Summit make a direct fit radiator? Or is this one of those generic ones by dimensions? $159 is about right for a non direct fit aluminum radiator.

Kurt

Does Summit make a direct fit radiator? Or is this one of those generic ones by dimensions? $159 is about right for a non direct fit aluminum radiator.

Kurt

I understand your point. Its as direct fit as anyone needs that has enough brain power or mechanical skill to replace one themselves if you follow me. AND I HATE futzing around with a PIA install of any kind. I simply dont have the patience for it now. :nonono:

All I had to do was connect the fan shroud with some simple ties and bend a home depot bracket around the neck to hold it in and a couple of zip ties. It looks neat, professional, and took me an extra 10 minutes? :shrug: to save myself a lot of money. Put it to you this way, it would be worth it for even a $20 difference and I dont value $20 much compared to my time. Still I saved a 10X that. :)

I understand your point. Its as direct fit as anyone needs that has enough brain power or mechanical skill to replace one themselves if you follow me. AND I HATE futzing around with a PIA install of any kind. I simply dont have the patience for it now. :nonono:

All I had to do was connect the fan shroud with some simple ties and bend a home depot bracket around the neck to hold it in and a couple of zip ties. It looks neat, professional, and took me an extra 10 minutes? :shrug: to save myself a lot of money. Put it to you this way, it would be worth it for even a $20 difference and I dont value $20 much compared to my time. Still I saved a 10X that. :)

pics pls

Mishimotos have a Piss leak pressure venting system (PLPV). All Mishimotos come standard equipped with this feature.:D The location of this vent varies from model to model....But you'll know when its working. :rolleyes:

For non- (PLPV) Radiator systems please seek alternate brands.

And if you don't believe that ....Then your mustangs massive power made the radiator leak.

Chris :rlaugh:

they may not be the best rads on the market but you can't fault them for their no questions asked gaurentee. i don't know of any other companies that have that kind of warranty.

i've had my fluidyne for over 4 years now with no problems.

they may not be the best rads on the market but you can't fault them for their no questions asked gaurentee. i don't know of any other companies that have that kind of warranty.

i've had my fluidyne for over 4 years now with no problems.

I have always said..."the best warranty is the one you don't have to use"

Thats like saying a piston will split in half inside your motor....but after you pull it out the grenaded motor rubble they'll give you a NEW piece of crap to start the cycle all over at no charge.

Fluidyne makes good stuff....You wouldn't be happy if you had hott green antifreeze pissed all over your engine compartment.

If you don't have overheating issues ...i rather keep the 15 year old factory one. The failure rate of the Mishimoto is just unacceptable...then they say "hey yeah we know that was crap...now try our newest model with extra cores"

BTW i felt the Mishimoto name plate and *** writing on the Rad cap just wasn't befitting of a piece of American Muscle......

Only *** writing is on the JVC in my Dash. But if you like stuff like that you can take these "ProComp" heads off my hands!!!

Chris