Morpheus NA Powerpipe - Interesting Weekend Install

94DreamGT

Founding Member
Jul 19, 2000
Indiana
Have been wanting to relocate my MAF/Filter into the inner fender for awhile to take advantage of the cool air there. Didn't want to go to a cold-air kit as I still wanted to incorporate my Pro-M 77 housing and not mess with one of the Bullet MAF etc...

Current setup was just the Pro-M 77 off the stock intake tract in the engine bay. This was easiest and functional, but sucked up all the hot-air from the engine. This pic shows how it was:

Best.sized.jpg

I was contemplating doing one of the "Home Depot" cold air/ram air setups, but I didn't really want to mess with all trouble (little did I know it would've been easier :) )

Didn't want to pay the $200+ for one of Andersons NA powerpipes either. I would've loved to have a Morpheus, but we all know that story as he is no longer in business.

So fast forward to the other weekend and I'm walking around the pits at WFC. I see a black 94-95 GT running open comp. I go over and talk to the guy. Nice car, believe it ran low 11's etc.. Anyways, over by his trailer, he has a box with what looks to be a cold-air kit. After closer inspection, it is a Brand New Morphues NA Powerpipe for 94-95 cars. He said it was an extra one and was trying to get rid of it. Needless to say I talked him letting it go for a very nice price. So low of a price I feel ashamed to say...roughly around 1/4 the price of a new Anderson pipe :)

So I figure it'd be a simple install, no more than an hour. Well...that turned into a few days of messing with it.

Day One: Discovered that one of the fittings wouldn't work since the Pro-M has such a huge flange opening. I had to scour the plumbing sections of my local hardware stores to find the correct rubber reducer coupler, which luckily I found.

Day Two: Removed the inner fender and fabbed up the pipe from the TB to the fender. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves below:

InnerFender1.sized.jpg

P5200050.sized.jpg

So yeah...it was a little "Big". I think a shorty style MAF would of worked perfect, or else a smaller filter, but this is what I was stuck with, so I had to make it work. Don't ask me how I did it, but a few hours of cursing, bending, pushing, fabbing, etc...and she's nice and snug in that fender. Hangs down pretty low too which grabs all that nice cold air.

Day 3: Went to hook everythign up and realized the MAF Harness, wasn't long enough since it is hooked up with the ACT harness. One of them had to be extended. While I was messing with all these wires, I decided to relocate a bunch of them into the fender

P5200052.sized.jpg

So the next step was to mess with cutting and splicing the ACT harness so it could hook up in its bung near the throttle body.

To make a long story short, I got it all hooked up and it works pretty darn good. I took the car out and it was about 80 degrees out. Could of been my imagination after all the work, but the thing felt like it was pulling harder by the SOTP meter. Too bad I won't get a before and after comparison at the track, but I should have numbers by next weekend if the weather holds up.

Here's some pics of the engine bay now. It's not the cleanest and I still need to organize some stuff, but you get the idea.

P5230056.sized.jpg

P5230058.sized.jpg

The Morphues pipe is nice, and the coating is great. I would make the ACT bung threaded instead of a rubber grommet and the air tubing hookup could be better, but over all...definetly worth the money.

Hopefully some other company can step up and start making these at a price less than the arm and leg Anderson wants.

Jeremy

• Sponsors (?)

That picture is a little deceiving due to the angle. It actually does fit inside the inner fender (took some work though :) ). The filter is actually directly behind the passenger side fog light housing. Might have to take that out at the track to get some direct air flow ;)

So is morpheus in business anymore? I have been trying to find out about their pipes since I have wanted one for a good while now, but their website has been down for a long time. Anyone got any idea where or how to contact them or where to buy one of their pipes?

Yes...I realize the pipe was probably not "designed" for the standard Pro-M 77, but there are a lot of things not specifically designed for our cars that we make work, right? Besides, I would not have it on there if I thought it would impede air flow in any way or hurt performace. As for sucking up water, that was the first concern that went through my mind, but the way the filter is still tucked up in the fender, it would take one hell of a big deep puddle to get in trouble. I will be careful in the rain if and when I drive it in that weather and definitely avoid puddles.

That pipe looks nice, wish I could have gotten one of those instead of my POS Anderson Pipe. My air filter hang really low too, right down at the edge of the bumper. You're really going to have to be careful with deep puddles and stuff, Ford experienced problems with engines locking up in Mark VIII's because the filter was in the fenderwell.

might it be possible to cut the pipe just a tad and lift the filter just to be on the safe side. i wouldn't want to be worried about water getting in everytime it rains. just my .02 cents,
oh and do a search for the morpheus pipe on corral.net cause there are some guys that are gonna start building pipes just like morpheus for just about the same price.

I would have liked to see before and after track numbers from putting the maf in the engine compartment to the inner fender. I already done a similar test and saw it was worth nothing on my car. Anyway, that thing hangs low dude, be careful. IMO, you woulda been better off making a home depot pipe with a straight shot from just inside the inner fender to the TB. These powerpipes have way too many bends for my taste and we all know the idea is to straighten the air.

Hey...it's cool...everyone's entitled to their opinion. I'm hoping this works in my favor, no reason it shouldn't as its getting much cooler air than before and there is only one bend really whereas before that stock intake tubing was bending every which way.

I would also like to do before & after results at the track, but it's too much work to switch it back and forth. Besides, only TRUE way to do it would be AT the track on the same day so you could log back to back passes in the same DA, weather, etc...

And this must be working good for Paul (KillerCanary), because he has a Morpheus Pipe too and his car seems to be running pretty strong ;) Hopefully mine will too.