Must I convert?

alludethis

Sep 5, 2006
I have an 88 LX 5.0. Im getting ready to purchase a new block and start fresh, probably a 331 stroker or something similar. I WILL be turboing it in about 5 months or so. Do I have to convert MAF or can i stay speed density? Is it even a possibility?

• Sponsors (?)

alludethis said:
I have an 88 LX 5.0. Im getting ready to purchase a new block and start fresh, probably a 331 stroker or something similar. I WILL be turboing it in about 5 months or so. Do I have to convert MAF or can i stay speed density? Is it even a possibility?
I was faced with the same problem when i did my 331. . . . just throw a carb on it :D

alludethis said:

I think the biggest problem will be when you add the turbo.

The sd system tends to have trouble when the VE of the engine is changed dramatically.

If you are going to have the car tuned by a pro shop, then pick a shop and see what they want to tune. Some places only work with certain combos.

If you are going to tune it yourself, then my opinion is to make it easy on yourelf and use the MAF.

There are a lot of guys using sd to make good power while maintaining drivability.
It can take some work to get the tune right though.

jason

Just convert to maf, its easy, all u need is a newer stang maf computer, maf harness, maf and prob new intake tube or cai setup depending on how u want to set it up...I did mine for 150 bucks from parts from friends or junkyard. Tap in a couple wires, move a couple pins and ur done...well worth it IMO, I tried to stay SD with my combo but it wouldnt even stay running right without blowing out black smoke. When u go turbo i would go maf for sure