Mustang Acc Brack Compatibility 79-86 and 87-93

jgrono

Sep 4, 2009
Gainesville, FL
Hey, I have read these forums a good deal but have never posted before. Here's my situation:

I have an 84 Capri which originally had a 4b carbed 302 without ac. The previous owner had an aftermarket ac setup installed, etc. The ac ran off of a single v-rib belt and not the regular serpentine that everything else runs on.

I swapped the engine for the FMS GT40 crate engine and used my original (or whatever brackets were there from the aftermarket ac) on the new GT40 motor. This worked out fine for the past couple years since I got rid of the ac when I swapped the engine. I used an 82.75 inch belt, which I think is the factory length. I might have just figured out what belt fit and used it, I don't remember.

Well now, I decided to put ac back in this thing. (Florida) Since I basically had to start fresh with all the ac parts, I figured I would use an 87-93 style compressor, a 6p148A, so it is similar to what the car originally would have had.

I have the compressor, the small ac bracket that bolts up the rear of the compressor, and the other slightly larger bracket that bolts to the heads which mounts up the smaller ac bracket and also connects to the ps bracket. I am currently still looking for the ac bracket that goes near the front of the compressor and halfway circles the pulley of the comp.

I am finding out that the ps pump on non-ac cars is mounted higher, and on cars with ac the ps pump was mounted lower.

My problem is basically this - if I start replacing the ps bracket with 87-93 style..then will I have to also replace the alternator bracket, idler bracket etc..... all up to 87-93 style?

The rotation of the water pump I don't think should be affected either, as long as I route the belt the same, right?

Anybody have any experience with this? Rather than just throw money at this and have to buy all new brackets and possibly a tensioner, alternator, etc I figured I would check and see if anyone knew for sure. I don't really care about keeping a factory setup, but I am trying to keep it somewhat close to either a 79-86 or 87-93 belt setup just to make getting replacement parts easier.

Does anyone know the difference between the accessory brackets through the years 79-93?

Any help would be great. If you have parts you want to sell or get rid of let me know.

Thanks,

Jim

• Sponsors (?)