Mustang Fr500c Takes Lead In Grand-am Cup!!!

willy_sc5.0

Jun 20, 2004
NY
FORD RACING MUSTANG FR500C TAKES LEAD IN GRAND-AM CUP CHAMPIONSHIP WITH WIN AT CALIFORNIA

05mustanglg.jpg

http://grand-am.com/News/Article.asp?ID=4090
FONTANA, Calif. (April 2, 2005) -- In a thrilling California 200 at California Speedway, Gunnar Jeannette in the No. 05 Multimatic Motorsports Ford Mustang took advantage of a Lap 65 restart to take the lead from Darren Law in the No. 6 Zoom Motorsports Porsche 996 and led the remaining seven laps en route to the first Grand-Am Cup Series overall victory for himself and co-driver James Gue (SPEED Channel, April 16, 12:00 Noon ET).

"On the restart I knew that our real only advantage was up the front straight, especially on the restart, and into the banking," Jeannette said. "The Porsches right now pretty much outhandle us because we're so heavy so I tried to kind of time it a bit but Darren (Law) timed it also and he was too early so I got a run on him. He had to stop before the green flag even came out so I kind of bobbled it a bit. But luckily, you know, the green flag came out right as I lifted and I just went down again and ended up getting him going into NASCAR (Turn) 1."

It was the second triumph in three races for the brand-new Ford Mustang in a race that featured five lead changes among five different drivers. The victory also moved Gue and Jeannette into the Grand Sport (GS) class points lead after three of 11 races. Gue and Jeannette lead Law and co-driver Mike McCalmont by 11 points (89-78).

"It was really exciting," Gue said. "I can't say enough about all the Multimatic guys and Ford. Obviously Gunnar did an outstanding job there at the end. (The car) remained consistent right to the end. I mean you could see Gunnar was turning his quickest laps right there so its just a testament to how good the car is."

Law--who led for nine laps--and McCalmont brought the No. 6 machine home in second place. It was the best Grand-Am Cup Series result of the season for a Porsche, and was the best showing since Canadians Greg Wilkins and Dave Lacey drove their Porsche 996 to victory in the 2004 season finale at California Speedway.

Anders Hainer and Boris Said made it three different manufacturers in the top three positions as they co-drove their No. 99 Anchor Racing BMW M3 to a third-place result. Said nearly took second place away from Law in the closing laps, but came up just short in his bid.

Zoom Motorsports had two cars finish inside the top-four positions, as Alan Wortzman and Kenny Wilden finished fourth in the No. 16 BMW M3. Wilden was passed for fourth by Bill Auberlen in the No. 96 Turner Motorsport BMW M3 on the final lap, but race officials ruled that Auberlen shortcut the course in the Turn 12-13-14 complex to gain an unfair advantage.

As a result, the No. 96 team was penalized five seconds after the race, dropping Auberlen--who led 16 laps in the race--and co-driver Justin Marks to fifth in the final rundown. Ian James also led 16 laps in the No. 5 Blackforest Motorsports Ford Mustang, but the pony car wasn't in contention for the victory at the end of the race, relegating James and co-driver Tom Nastasi to a sixth-place finish.

Polesitter Terry Borcheller led a race-high 33 laps in the No. 33 Unitech Racing Nissan 350Z, but his co-driver, Mike Cronin Jr., encountered a mechanical failure after completing 47 laps, leaving both drivers out of the points with a 38th place GS class finish and a 56th place result overall.

http://blueovalnews.com/2005/products/racing.mustanggrandam040405.htm

* Ford Racing Mustang FR500C race car speeds to a first place finish in the Grand-Am Cup California 200.

* Ford Racing and drivers Gunnar Jeannette and James Gue capture the lead in the series' manufacturer and driver (GS class) championships, respectively.

* Ford Racing Mustang FR500C race cars take three of the top 10 finishing positions.

n a race featuring five different leaders including a late race pass for the win, the Multimatic Motorsports Ford Racing Mustang FR500C driven by James Gue and Gunnar Jeannette took the checkered flag for their first series win, and the second win of the season for a Mustang FR500C, at the Grand-Am Cup California 200 at California Speedway.

"James and Gunnar drove a great race, and have earned the points lead after a starting the season with two top-10 finishes, and now the win," said Dan Davis, director, Ford Racing Technology. "We're very pleased with the success of the Mustang FR500C program, and I congratulate Multimatic Motorsports on its first win of the season."

After a ninth-place qualifying position, Multimatic Motorsports drivers Gue and Jeannette worked hard to get to the front of the pack for a chance at the win. With only five laps remaining, Jeannette took advantage of a race re-start from a caution, and passed the Porsche 996 of Darren Law and Mike McCalmont on the outside of the oval at California Speedway going into turn 1.

"The Mustang FR500C program is proving to be both competitive and durable, just as we hoped" said Primo Goffi, Mustang program manager, Ford Racing Technology. "The competition in Grand Am Cup this year is very strong which is why it's so rewarding to be able to leave California with Mustang's second win of the season and leading the manufacturers points."

The Ford Racing Mustang FR500C was developed by Ford Racing Technology and is available through Ford Racing Performance Parts as a complete "ready-to-race" package for the Grand-Am Cup Series.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

• Sponsors (?)