Mustang GT-R press pictures"

wythors said:
Then paint it flat black instead of that lame-looking carbon fibre crap. CF is fine as an interior accent or a vehicle construction material, but I HATE the way it looks as an unfinished body panel. Makes it look too much like a Civic.

If this is any indication of what the 2006 SVT is going to look like, I will reclaim my deposit and cancel my order. :notnice:

I don't understand the phobia of CF and large wings. Yeah they are on civics. So because they actually have a good idea about how to get more performance out of their cars, it's bad? If you do cancel your SVT order. Let me know. Cause if it looks like that. I'll be auctioning off a kidney.

• Sponsors (?)

i just noticed this....."The Mustang GT-R could be adapted to conform to different series and budgets but, in this variation, serves as a dream machine. We took the ‘Cammer’ engine from the Ford Racing catalog and built a race car around it with the best parts we’ve researched and tested through our unmatched global racing program." the part that gets me is the last sentence. look at the lettering on top of the battery box http://www.maximum-cars.com/Cars/CarPicDisplay.php?carnumber=624&pictureID=25 i just find that funny, maybe its just me?

yellow5.0cobra said:
I dont believe it is the read deal... some of the pictures look too ANIMATION type than others..

The interior might be real as water in a glass... but some exterior shots look rendered.

Either way... I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT!

And I doubt it will be less than $70k.
Would you believe Ford's own webpage? I thought it might be a photoshop to. But have found too much supporting info. And they state race ready for $40k
http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_display.cfm?release=17442

As far as the Carbon fiber hood, get over it. It doesn't deserve that much ink. Personally, I like it. Kind of a modern interpretation of the black hoods you see on some old muscle cars. Unpainted carbon fiber can look very good IMO.

Does anyone have any idea what that silver moon tank in the trunk is? I'm thinking it's probably for a fire suppression system but it's hard to tell. I though the little black knob to the right of the gear shift had something to do with it but that might be a brake bias adjuster.

Yes, I remember that car.

SVTdriver said:
As far as leaving the hood unpainted to attract some of the import crowd. I wouldn't bet on it. I am going to assume some of you don't remember the late 60's. This car was made to remind people of the boss 302. Which was long before rice ever came around.
http://www.boss302.com/9f189049.jpg
http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_display.cfm?release=17442

That's what it reminded me of at first. Then I realized it was bare CF. If so, why not paint it black? The Ferrari F50 is completely comprised of the stuff, but they still paint the car red or yellow.

The Fireman said:
Here are some photoshopped pics I found of what a production version might look like. :drool:

gtr2-fr.jpg

gtr2-rr.jpg

I like that muuuuch better. :nice:

OMG! :hail2: :hail2:

shatner saves said:
Does anyone have any idea what that silver moon tank in the trunk is? I'm thinking it's probably for a fire suppression system but it's hard to tell. I though the little black knob to the right of the gear shift had something to do with it but that might be a brake bias adjuster.

From Ford's Release...

"Endurance racers will instantly recognize the differential cooler mounted between the taillamps with an aluminum grille screen."

ThRippeR said:
From Ford's Release...
"Endurance racers will instantly recognize the differential cooler mounted between the taillamps with an aluminum grille screen."

Isn't this the diff cooler (between the tail lamps):
http://www.maximum-cars.com/Cars/CarPicDisplay.php?carnumber=624&pictureID=9

I was also curious what the silver thing inside the car is:
http://www.maximum-cars.com/Cars/CarPicDisplay.php?carnumber=624&pictureID=26

Could it be a fuel presurizer or something? The hose on the right looks like it goes to the quarter window for fueling. And it is way too small for a tank.
:shrug:

Of couse, I know almost nothing about the inner workings of race cars.

Also, any idea on rear suspension?
As stated in the article: Working on a clean sheet of paper, Mustang’s engineering team could have selected any type of setup at the rear, including an independent suspension. So why choose a solid rear axle? The answer lies in Mustang’s position as America’s muscle car.

"We talked to a lot of Mustang owners and racers when we were developing this program," says Thai-Tang. "They are a very passionate group, and a lot of them told us – very strongly – that the all-new Mustang must have a solid rear axle because of its combination of performance and modification flexibility."

Front Suspension: Reverse-L independent rigid strut tower brace with lightweight chrome-moly K-member and race-spec anti-sway bar with 1.25-inch box section

Rear Suspension: Three-link, solid axle with dynamic, fully adjustable shocks with remote reservoirs and coil-over springs, race-spec 1.25-inch panhard rod, and race-spec anti-sway bar

Don't expect any 3.7" bores (read: 5.0) from the factory though.
As stated in the article: The foundation for the Mustang GT-R's race-prepared 440-horsepower engine is the new 5.0-liter "Cammer" crate engine from Ford Racing Performance Parts. The engine is rooted in the MOD 4.6-liter four-valve V-8 engine family. However, the motor's flanged cylinder liners help provide 94mm (instead of 90.2mm) cylinder bores, creating a full 5.0 liters of piston displacement.

In other words it is available from the factory, but only as a crate motor!

I was also curious what the silver thing inside the car is:
http://www.maximum-cars.com/Cars/Ca...24&pictureID=26

If I'm not mistaken that is the differnetial cooler!

Matt

I think the car is amazing!

But lets get things clear, its a Race Car, not a Street Car.

The wing has funcionality. Have you ever seen a daily driven street car with a full cage, no carpet, no back seat and no passenger seat :shrug:

You can't paint that type of carbon fiber hood. It has a texture to it. It would look like **** painted.

This is not a street car!

This is a purpose built race car, more then likely you will see it on the GT curcuit along side car like these...
GTS-R
2000-Viper-GTS-R-Concept-2.jpg

C5-R
2001-Corvette-CR-5-1.jpg

CTS-V R
2004-CTS-V-RC-5.jpg

Attachments

• 2000-Viper-GTS-R-Concept-2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 2001-Corvette-CR-5-1.jpg
    2001-Corvette-CR-5-1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 78
I thought it might actually be the fuel tank. Since the under the rear seat area that the tank normally would go into. Has an optima battery in it. And the hose that leads into it. Looks a lot like the fuel hose fromthe drivers side.

Hmmmm....

I give it the effort an A+

But the exectuion deserves a C+/B- at best. Why? Well..from reading the press release and seeing what this Mustang seems geared for...I find it awfully curious that the Mustang GT-R is going to be offered to road racers...yet they retain the live axle rear end. Pretty sad if you ask me.

I've always advocated that Ford take the Mustang and do battle in the ALMS GT class or SCCA Speed World Challenge...but do it right for godsakes.

Brads Coupe said:
I think the car is amazing!

But lets get things clear, its a Race Car, not a Street Car.

The wing has funcionality. Have you ever seen a daily driven street car with a full cage, no carpet, no back seat and no passenger seat :shrug:

You can't paint that type of carbon fiber hood. It has a texture to it. It would look like **** painted.

This is not a street car!

This is a purpose built race car, more then likely you will see it on the GT curcuit along side car like these...
GTS-R

C5-R
2001-Corvette-CR-5-1.jpg

CTS-V R
2004-CTS-V-RC-5.jpg

You're right...the GT-R is meant for the track.....but why not offer a an IRS.

And before you Ford apologists start bringing up cost issues....costs doesn't seem to be stopping those armadas of Porsches in ALMS GT racing.

Attachments

• 2000-Viper-GTS-R-Concept-2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 2001-Corvette-CR-5-1.jpg
    2001-Corvette-CR-5-1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 88
Jugg2Driver said:
As stated in the article: Working on a clean sheet of paper, Mustang’s engineering team could have selected any type of setup at the rear, including an independent suspension. So why choose a solid rear axle? The answer lies in Mustang’s position as America’s muscle car.

"We talked to a lot of Mustang owners and racers when we were developing this program," says Thai-Tang. "They are a very passionate group, and a lot of them told us – very strongly – that the all-new Mustang must have a solid rear axle because of its combination of performance and modification flexibility."

Front Suspension: Reverse-L independent rigid strut tower brace with lightweight chrome-moly K-member and race-spec anti-sway bar with 1.25-inch box section

Rear Suspension: Three-link, solid axle with dynamic, fully adjustable shocks with remote reservoirs and coil-over springs, race-spec 1.25-inch panhard rod, and race-spec anti-sway bar

Matt

That's fine for a run of the mill GT for the masses. But for a 40,000 dollar road racing machine...a solid live axle falls way short.