My 96 GT "248A"

MysteryMachine

Jun 21, 2003
Parkesburg, PA
Posted a pic in the new stang pics thread but nobody asked what was up. I had to tell Ryan to look lol.

I picked this up on Saturday. It's a 96 GT "248A". Has 122k on it. Has a BBK catted X, Glass packs, short shifter, JLT CAI, and U/D Pulleys.

I was looking for a New Edge with low miles but found this one local. It was a done deal when my dad found this was the same car he looked at a while back at a dealer. My parents loaned me the money cause I'm looking at houses so this way it stays off my credit. I got it $3400

It needs a bath and the engine bay cleaned up. These are the first pics I took of it.

I wasn't planing on modding it but if I find bolt ons on the cheap I might snag them.

My first for sure thing I'm buying is this
YouTube - Meter4it.com 96-04 Sequential Taillights Demo

IMG_2839.jpg

IMG_2837.jpg

IMG_2836.jpg

IMG_2835.jpg

IMG_2834.jpg

IMG_2833.jpg

The MM is basically gonna be put under the knife for a restore. Sitting did a number on it so it's gonna be a slow process. This is to get me through my stang withdraw lol

• Sponsors (?)

It is. I was really surprised with the power it has. I have always heard the 4.6s were slow and not as peppy as the 5.0. This thing will go and will pull in any gear. I can be crusing in 5th and push the gas and it will just keep going like it's nothing

i'm glad you like it.

when i had my 96, i had 4.10 gears and it did pull pretty hard in 3rd. other than that, not really.

as to the PI head swap ... i looked into it and the cost to do it "right" was higher than i wanted to pay for the gains that were claimed. but i was including things like upgrading the cams, porting the heads and improving the exhaust at the same time since it was apart anyway. that was actually the reason why i sold it and bought my 95. maybe things have changed since then.

"doing it right" can get costly still but getting junkyard heads and a new pi intake isn't too expensive. kinda like getting an exploder motor for us.

very nice Jinx. the body looks really nice. the engine could use some TLC but otherwise its really nice. don't forget it has clear headlights too

Ahh, it's the "Deep Violet" then. Also just noticed that the 248A option was the GTS version. Does this have any convienience options?

PI swap is like going from E7's to a set of aftermarket aluminums...lol

'96 4.6 rated at 215hp vs '99+ 4.6 rated at 260hp

Ahh, it's the "Deep Violet" then. Also just noticed that the 248A option was the GTS version. Does this have any convenience options?

PI swap is like going from E7's to a set of aftermarket aluminums...lol

'96 4.6 rated at 215hp vs '99+ 4.6 rated at 260hp
You are correct. I guess after 95 they "did away" with the GTS and started calling them 248A's. It's basically the same thing though. No it don't have any convenience options. Manual windows and locks, no cruise control. I'm not sure on the seat cause I didn't have to adjust it any. I would like to install door lock actuators and get a aftermarket keyless entry for it. I'm spoiled having that in my truck.

Nice buy. Like you said, a good clean up is all it really seems to need. Don't care much for the colour, but if you like it...that's all that matters. :)
Ya know when I first found it I was like EH it's purple. Then I walked up to it and thought wow I actually really like this. I do get looks from people cause I'm driving a purple car. My friends like to pick on me and call me gay and all that but I know they are just trying to piss me off. I love it, it's different and i can't say as if I've ever seen another one like it around here.

Nice score Jinx. Been awhile since you've been able to cruise in a stang huh?

Yeah the MM has been down for 4-5 years. My 99 v6 was the last one I had and it was totaled at least a year ago.

Maybe now I can make some shows and actually be in a stang

Almost lost it tonight. Lady was coming west bound toward the mall entrance and turned on her turn signal. I thought she was turning into the mall which has 2 lanes going into it. I turned and she locked her car up. Was inches from my passenger rear quarter panel. If I would have stopped she would have nailed me. Of course she acted like it was my fault blowing her horn and all that. After she blew past I yelled a few choice words out the window. My niece seen her pulled over checking her car up the road. If she would have hit me things would have gotten ugly. I think I would have snapped and beat her to death.

After we were done in the mall I snapped a few pics. It's still dirty but you can't see that in the dark lol

IMG_2872.jpg

IMG_2871.jpg

IMG_2869.jpg

IMG_2868.jpg

IMG_2867.jpg

IMG_2866.jpg

IMG_2865.jpg

IMG_2864.jpg

Nice car. The 4.6 has a lot of low end torque, which is why it pulls so hard in any gear. I think it's actually a hair slower than a 95' flat out. I wonder how close in price it is to do a proper PI swap vs. just putting twisted wedges on that car.

Kurt

The 4.6 has a lot of low end torque, which is why it pulls so hard in any gear.

Huh? What? First time I've ever heard anyone say that.

Mod motors aren't torque monsters, they produce their power at higher rpms. That's why many install 4.10, 4.30, and even 4.56 gears. Look at any 4.6 dyno sheet. Their torque #'s are never more than their HP #'s, whereas compared to a "torquey" 5.0 they always have more torque than HP

Huh? What? First time I've ever heard anyone say that.

Mod motors aren't torque monsters, they produce their power at higher rpms. That's why many install 4.10, 4.30, and even 4.56 gears. Look at any 4.6 dyno sheet. Their torque #'s are never more than their HP #'s, whereas compared to a "torquey" 5.0 they always have more torque than HP

Actually, peak torque and hp on a 4.6 is produced at a lower rpm than on a 5.0. Remember, the stroke on a 4.6 is signifigantly longer than on a 5.0, which is naturally going to move the torque and power band down. Modular people run taller gears to take advantage of the engines higher rev range. A 4 cam mod motor can spin to 7000rpms from the factory. If you put a 4.56:1 gear in a stock bottom end Cobra, you can cross the traps in 4th gear at close to 7000rpms. If you put a 4.56 gear in a stock bottom end 5.0 car, you are shifting to 5th by the end of the track. Torque and power are about the same for factory production 5.0s in 95, and factory production 4.6s in 96. Stock 4.6 is rated at 280 ft.lbs of torque, and they both put about 190rwhp down with a 5 speed.

Kurt