My 96 with S197 (05-09) stock GT rims W/Pics

MustangLX-5.0

Founding Member
Dec 2, 2000
Lehigh Acres Fla.
And for the member who requested pics of my wheels........

For all of you out there looking to get a set of S197 stock GT rims and don't know what it would look like,here it is.These rims are off of an 07 GT.They are the double spoke 5 stars with pony center cap.The front tires are stock Pirelli P-Zero Nero's (235/50/ZR17).The rears are a couple random used tires I got for free while working at the Ford Dealership.The drivers side is a Yokohama Avid series and the pass side is a Michelin Hydroedge.Both rear tires are 225/55/17.They aren't the best and don't even look right.But you can't beat free when you have little cash.I also have 1/4" wheel spacers.Yes,you will need these.Because of the extreme rim offset,they sit deeper into the wheel well.I had rubbing issues on the rears prior to this.Also had and still have rubbing issues on the front.The inner lip of the tire will rub the edge of the sway bar at 90% wheel turn.It may or may not be caused by torn strut tower mount bushings,which...I also have ......I also had a set of 255's on back that would rub the lower portion of the inner wheel well when hitting certain bumps while turning.If you get these rims,255's on back would be ideal.But make sure you get spacers.I don't think they would rub with a spacer.I don't know for sure as I smoked them bald and replaced before getting spacers.Also,if you get spacers,I would recommend stud adaptors instead of plate spacers.I have plate spacers and it leaves VERY LITTLE stud left to screw the lug on to.

As you can see in these pics,the wheels still seem to sit sunk in just a little.I think it still needs a slight bump out or wider tires.

I know it is difficult to see the tire sidewall in these pics.My cars color is ZR Ultra White.It is one of the brightest whitest of the whites ever made.It is also one of the most difficult to photograph without overexposing.Let me know if you want more pics,different angles etc.

IMG_1203_001.jpg

IMG_1205_001.jpg

IMG_1206_001.jpg

IMG_1207_001.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Those wheels look great!

But I would fix the issue with your studs ASAP. The lug nut should have at least one thread protruding through it when it's tight. If only part of it is engaging the stud thread, you're in danger of a wheel coming off the car at any time! Plate spacers add stress to the studs as it is, and if the lug nuts aren't fully engaging them you're probably going to have all five of them strip and fail suddenly during cornering or going over a bump. I wouldn't even drive the car until this is fixed!

Front spacers have been on since July of 08.Rears since December.I'm also not using the original nut type lugnuts.i have the lugnuts from an 07 Mustang.Same ones that go with those wheels.They are the long type with chrome caps.I did test one of the original nuts to see how much lug would protrude,just barely.I've rotated the wheels 3 times not to mention the different sets of tires I had on at various times.I know,I dont like it either,but I hav;t had any problems with it yet.They get torqued to exactly 100 ft lbs.The max allowed for these studs.When I come across the cash for the stud adaptors,I'll get them.They aren't cheap.$100 - $200 for a set....versus the $6 bucks I paid for 2 plate spacers at Ford.

And no,I'm not looking for a 4x4 look.You should have seen it before the spacers were added.The backs especially.It was so sunk in and concealed.Didn't look right at all.More like a compact car with tiny wheels.I know what some of you might say..... "If they dont fit properly without spacers,then you shouldn't be using them"......Well put it this way,I bought them off a guy I worked with at the Ford Dealership.$200.Very good deal.Especially since I was looking to try and fix a vibration problem I had.One of my other wheelr has a very slight crack in it.I hit a nasty pothole in '06.Thought the wheel was bent.It didn't leak tho.This was a better deal than paying $175 for a re-conditioned rim or $280 for a new one.So I worked with what I got.Didn't fix the vibration problem.It did seem to re-appear shortly after the pothole incident.I have been living with it for years on and off.Not a big deal.

Still have my old rims and tires.Course now they have scratches all over them from some animal (skunk...racoon..who knows..they are under the house).So these def look much better.

Anyway,to each his own.I was just posting this because someone asked if I could.This member also got these wheels and has not installed them yet.Wanted a look ahead..