my a/c just died :(

SexyStang1994

Founding Member
Jan 18, 2002
Daytona Beach, Florida
I've had a really bad week (see bottom for reasons why) and now my a/c just died too! It was working perfectly this morning but I wanted to use my windows for a bit so I turned it off. When I got back in my car to head home, I turned it on and got nothing. It sounds like something is on (maybe the compressor) but no air is coming through my vents inside the car. How can it just die like that? I don't think I'm out of freon (I have no idea how to spell it) because it was ice cold this morning. COuld it be a fuse? :shrug:

Bad week:
1. got a $70 ticket for a taillight out
2. my other car got egged and the paint is distroyed
3. my dad had to go to the hospital today because he injured his back; spent the entire day in the emergency room
4. a/c just died and it is friggin' hot out today!

• Sponsors (?)

CManT1914 said:
Is it not blowing out of any vents at all? If it blows out of the defrost vents, it's not big deal, just a broken vacuum line near the firewall.

haha it's been a crazy day so I didn't even check to see if it was coming out of the defroster..... guess I'll go check. :D

:edit: Yes, it is coming out of the defroster vents... is it supposed to be cold?

SexyStang1994 said:
haha it's been a crazy day so I didn't even check to see if it was coming out of the defroster..... guess I'll go check. :D

:nice: Hopefully it is (it's a VERY common problem for us). If so, just look at the vaccum tree on the driver's side fender (right by the firewall, there should be like 3 or 4 vacuum lines running off it) and there is gonna be a really skinny (and I mean SKINNY) vacuum line running along the firewall (probably wrapped in heat insulating stuff) behind the intake, and through the firewall on the passenger side. It's probably broke. Just pick up a piece of hose and some adapters or whatever from Advanced Auto, O'Reilly's, wherever and you're good to go. I wrapped mine in electrical tape afterwards to make sure the patches never came loose.

Sorry to hear about your week. How's your dad doing?

EDIT: I don't remember if mine was cold or not, it's been so long ago...

Here's some pics of it:

Driver's side
attachment.php

Passenger's side
attachment.php

Attachments

• Image003.jpg
    Image003.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 581
  • Image004.jpg
    Image004.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 563
stang3O2 said:
I had the same problem and I fixed the hose which was broke and it still only blows through the defroster and floor...what else would cause this?

Possibly this: It's what that hose runs to when it passes through the firewall and into the cabin. It's the pic Low-5.0 posted above.

100_0658.JPG

4. a/c just died and it is friggin' hot out today!

Must be nice to have A/C... All 3 of the cars I've had, first and the two I now own, did not have working A/C, and to this day still dont... You learn to get used to it I guess... I just jump in and it feels fine driving around. Glad to hear it was a cheap easy fix.