my car wont start :(

smokedsaleen

Sep 13, 2004
I just bought this car 2 weeks ago, its a 94 GT with 104,000km's (60,000miles). It was sitting around for about 6 months and was not used very much in that time before i bought it.

It has started fine eveyday for the past 2 weeks until today. I went to start it up after i went to the store and it took a while, I was like ok thats fine.

Then i came home and had to go to class. I turned the key, it didnt start, i tried again after a few seconds it started. Then after class I went to go home. Tried to turn it one, it didnt start, i held it down for a couple more seconds, nothing then i tried again and it started.

After that me and my gf wanted to go out for some drinks. I went to start the car
AND **** IT DIDNT START, i tried and tried, but it wouldnt start.

It has a crane ignition and I belive (from what i was told, i will check the reciepts) the fuel pump was changed within the last year.

So I tried jumpstarting it but the battery was not the cause.
It makes the starting noise, but will not start the engine. The whole chuchuchuchuchuchuchuchu (lol) anyways please help me out as this is super gay.

Thanks
Aaron

• Sponsors (?)

Check fuel pump noice from fuel tank right after yoy turn key on engine not runing, than check fuel pump fuse and relay
Check spark wires,
Dude you have check something so we can know what else to check out

also might ground a plug wire when it wont start to try to narrow down whether you are missing fuel or spark. FP is always good to know too.

good luck.

if the motors cranking check for spark, on my 95 cobra the previous owner had just replaced the ignition module i htink ford's is called "TFS?"at 85,000 and it coudl cuase a similar problem just as long as the engine is cranking over with no problems

If you can hear the pump prime, try cranking it over and push the schrader valve on the fuel port to see if it pisses fuel??? cover it with something though, you dont need a fuel shower.. :D

Any blown fuses??

Test the coil...if good, i would go to the TFI next..

If i'm not mistaken...you can still have spark with a bad TFI. a bad module ties to the dizzy and affects the spark being sent correctly?? Intermittant starts, than flat out dying are TFI symptoms..
Pull it and bring it to a parts store, they can test em..
Good luck..

so last night my brother came over with some parts to try. When i went to start the car up though it started :) and :(.

So he was thinking it was the starter since it didnt start and now it does. He said they get weird when there about to die. Any other thoughts on this?

Does this sound like a starter problem, and yes you can hear the fuel pump come on and that is working correct I belive.
We also checked the fueses and all of them seemed to be ok.

there is a little magnetic pickup sensor in the distributor, i don't remember what they call it, but i had the EXACT same problem. I replace like 200 dollars of other stuff, and then went and put in that 20 dollar part, and that was it! Try it! It requires taking the dist. out to get at it though. It's not that hard to do if you have the right tools though. That was one of the first things that brought me to this thread!

is cranking over when its not starting? if so its not the starter.

check for fuel and check for spark.

if not spark let me add the pick up coil inside of the distributor itself to the other things people mentioned. if it runs great once its running, id actually look there first.
if it cuts out and dies on you or tries to run crappy it would more be the TFI or the coil.

but i should mention if this car has not had a good tune up recently (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter.) you should start there. its good to do even if its not the problem.

Black70Fastback said:
if not spark let me add the pick up coil inside of the distributor itself to the other things people mentioned. if it runs great once its running, id actually look there first.
if it cuts out and dies on you or tries to run crappy it would more be the TFI or the coil.
Well it happened again, I went to a autoshop to pick up a speedo gear. Came out and the car didnt start. Waited about 10 minutes and it started up fine.

And Yes when the car has started it runs fine, it does not cut out as stated in that other thread.

Had the same problem last week, just got done fixing it. Heres a few tips I came across while doing this, instead of throwing every part at it. First check to see if your coil is getting spark. You can stick a flat head screw driver in the plug wire and hold it near a ground while someone cranks it over. I just held it near that bolt right by the coil. If it is arcing blue or orange you have spark from it, the color depending on how strong the spark is, mine sparked orange for instance. Do the same on a plug wire to see if you are getting spark. Mine ended up being the stator sensor inside the distributor like other people mentioned. However this sensor needs to be pressed inside the distributor and if someone does it, it has the potential to crack the base or other things can go wrong from what I hear. I just bought a remanufactured ford distributor for $120 from the auto parts store. Read up on how to replace these if this is your problem. You can check the sensor connector with a test light to see if it is the stator sensor that is causing the problem. Also if you do the distributor swap make sure you have a timing light or something handy because you will need something to check the timing after your done.

it died tonight on my way home, its at a shop so i have to call tommorow, it died while i was driving it. It didnt sputer or anything, just died straight out.
Anythoughts, im guessing its the coil and it probally wasnt making any spark?