My engine fan burned up!!! (long)

BlackVert

15 Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Bethesda, MD
I was on my way home after work today, at a stop light, and I noticed some smoke coming from under the hood. Then I noticed the temp gauge was above the L and climbing. So I pulled over as soon as I could and popped the hood. The smoke was coming from the radiator fan! That was when I started swearing. :mad:

Luckily, I was only 10 minues from home, but it was pegged the last 5 minutes or so. As soon as I got home, i cut it off an popped the hood again. By now, the overflow tube had come off and boiling hot radiator fluid was shooting all over the place. :bang: So I took a pair of pliers and put the tube back on; luckily it stayed on this time. :bang:

Then I started calling around trying to find someone who has a new fan motor in stock. Ford wants $300 for it because they only sell the thing as an assembly with the shroud and fan blade all together. CarQuest, AutoZone and Advance have to order them, but they may not come in tomorrow. :mad:

After I got the bad one out, the blade was on there so tight that it broke while I was trying to get it off to get the motor out. :bang:

I have to go with the Ford one because I am going on a trip tomorrow (to the beach) and I need to take care of this before going. :owned: Sometimes I hate Ford.

At least I got the stereo working ... i'll post pics later ...

• Sponsors (?)

The dealership can run the VIN number for you and tell you. They didn't replace the fan, all they do is put a breaker in the power supply line so that when the bearings seize the breaker will trip before the fan catches on fire. Make sure you FIGHT for them to replace it. Tell them that their breaker still wouldn't have stopped the problem from occuring... a new fan would have.

Sleepy McNastee said:
Damn that sucks... :(

I would have been too scared to drive it the rest of the way home. Especially if I smelled gas every time I opened the hood.

Did you figure out where your leak is?
yeah ... i'm pretty sure it is the adjustable fuel pressure regulator. must be really minor because i have neve seen any, just a faint but noticeable smell. i'm not sure what to do about it tho.

the fan wasn't in flames, but it was smoking pretty good.

Black96VertGT said:
yeah ... i'm pretty sure it is the adjustable fuel pressure regulator. not sure what to do about it tho.

the fan wasn't in flames, but it was smoking pretty good.

I bet the diaphragm is leaking inside the regulator. I don't think you can easily replace that either. But a new regulator shouldn't be too much. Summit lists their bbk units at $109.95, and thats what I am running. But I would say go with a Kirban. I have not seen anyone with problems with those.

Sleepy McNastee said:
I bet the diaphragm is leaking inside the regulator. I don't think you can easily replace that either. But a new regulator shouldn't be too much. Summit lists their bbk units at $109.95, and thats what I am running. But I would say go with a Kirban. I have not seen anyone with problems with those.
i'm thinking i might just take it out. i have no idea what it is set to, and i have a tweecer to diddle with the a/f, so i don't think i really need it.