My First 5.0 Problems To Look For?

94Mustangee

Aug 14, 2012
Hey Guys,

Im about to pickup my first Mustang, a 94 5.0 Convertible... very low mileage. Owned by an older somewhat wealthy lady... she drove it for a few years then just let it sit there.

Its in Florida and has probably hasnt been driven in... 3-5 years.. what kinda hell am i getting myself into and any tips or pointers on things i should look for?

I'm getting the car for next to nothing. i live in New England my plan was to go down there give it a look over and HOPEFULLY drive it home. But the closer the date comes i picture picking up the car, getting it runing and have it break down on some long lonely stretch of road miles from anyone

Any tips or pointers things to look for... i know letting a car sit that long with the engine and tranny oil not getting used can be a hidden nightmare. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like a nice score... These cars are very dependable far as I'm concerned. You have any mechanical skills or know your way around a motor?? That would be a plus versus going down without a clue and starting up something thats be idle for years.

Id grab a gas can and a socket and wrench set and a new fuel pump and filter. If its sat for years the gas is probably bad and the fuel pump and filter may be gummed up. Also grab and do an oil change and add some fuel injector cleaner. Other than looking out for that you should be good. Oh and a battery. It sounds like alot but its routine for a car that has sat. The 5.0 is a very very very reliable engine. Good luck. If you have any problems while goin through Nc hit me up i'll see if I can lend some assistance. Good luck and prepare to fall In love.
Sent from a Bionic powerhouse

I'd be weary on a car that's been sitting for that long. You need more information before you hike it. Also you could always pay to have shipped by truck. With the economy hurting you can negotiate a good deal.

1. If the harmonic balancer is stock I'm sure it's probably toast. Check to see if the rubber is sticking out of the back. If so do not drive the car.

2. Fuel- Cars that sit for a long time, fuel turns into varnish. If this is the case the car is undriveable. You'll need to drop the tank and clean it, change fuel pump, clean out the fuel lines and most likely new injectors.

3. Electrical- I'm sure the battery is dead. Could be more issues if the car has sit for that long.

your serpentine belt is sure to be dry rotted if it sat that long

check the oil make sure it doesnt look milky or grey in color(blown head gasket)

like the other guys said w/e you do do not start that car without dropping that tank and ditching the old gas

once the tank is clean you can purge the lines of all the old by disconnecting them in the engine compartment and turning the key on and off until you see good fuel...shouldnt take but 5-7 turns and letting it run for a few seconds

any other needs im in ny youll come right by me...pm me if you need

Thanks a lot guys! The old fuel seems to be the biggest issue then. i'll speak with the owner and see when it was last ran and tanked off. I might just pay to have it freighted up here, i have to see how much that will cost me.