My front end is squeaking

noclue02

Oct 26, 2009
Ok so my right front side is squeaking really bad. It squeaks when I turn and when I hit a pump. If I push down on the right side it also squeaks. I sprayed all the rubber pivot points I could find with a sylicone spray and there is still no difference. Would this be my strut? how would I go about pinpointing the problem? If someone has any ideas your advice would be great. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Ok so I figured out that the squeaking is coming from my rack on the right side. Is this something to worry about? Will it throw off my allignment? Im thinking about cutting a small hole in the protective sleeve and spraying some lubricant to stop the noise. Is this a good idea?

A couple of things. It might be nice to know the model year and how many miles.

Most bearings and suspension components are sealed. It rarely works to spary lub as the lub can not get into the areas needed.

Does it make a difference if turning while moving? If the noise is worse turing right, think the left wheel bearings. Right turn, left bearings.

Also, try turning the wheel near the limits of travel. If it squeaks at the last 1/2" of travel, think steering rack support bushings. Depending on the MY, there is a Ford TSB on the problem.

Ball joints are a possibility.

Squeaks

I had the same thing on my GT. The rack bushings had shrunk and gotten hard. You can replace them without removing the rack. Just pull one rack bolt out at a time. There is room to get the new bushings in and re-instals the bolt, then repeat on the other side. I replaced mine in about 30 minutes. Stopped the squeaks and got rid of the steering wanders. I put some poly bushings in mine. Really improved the steering feel.

Hey thanks for the help guys. I've been out of town or I would've responded sooner. My cars a 2002 v6 with 140k. I think you're right Abox5. I noticed that they're movings slightly when I turn. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your poly bushings? Should I get my car realigned after replacing them? Thanks again