My LS1 Notch Project (DUW)

Awesome project. Thx for sharing.

Hey, I've always wondereed. When you are doing a radical project like that, does the shifter just happen to line up with the stock position. Or did you need to cut the floor differently. Interior pics?

• Sponsors (?)

The interior is going through a little transformation so no pictures untill its done. Over this summer its getting some new black carpet, a cage, and some new seats. Also its in some serious need of a cleaning here and there inside.

The shifter site almost in the hole. I have to get a short throw shifter and a different shifter handle on there to get the boot assembly on there. But all in all it fits. If you do some searching youll find out that these tremec trans's have been in so many different cars that there is countless aftermarket companies that make shifters that can move the shifter up to 1 foot behing the stock location. Or forward if you need that as well.

Like Aaron & straight guys.

:D

I agree with most. It's a cool idea ..... and I LOVE the LS1 .... but I wouldn't do it to my Mustang. Nothing personal .... just a preference. And I totally agree on the old classic mix-breeds. I see tons of '28-'34 Fords with SBC's. That is wrong, and they took the "cheap" way out.

Good luck on the final touches & keep us updated!

This is alittle off subject but a few weeks ago at our local drag strip I seen one of the cleanest notches that I have seen in a long time. This thing would fly down the track and you could hardly even hear it. It would have been a heck of a sleeper on the street. I noticed that it had 6.0 badges on it instead of 5.0, so I thought it was probaly a stroker. I walked up to it with the hood up and it tuned out to be a Chevy motor :mad: . I don't know if it was a stroked LS1 or a 6.0 out of a truck or escalade but it would really move. Sorry for the novel I just had to rant.

Car looks Nice..so here the question...

Our sn95's were not upgraded with the equivalent H/C/I as the chevys because torque sold the cars and Ford decided not persue more HP. So enthusiasts like us beefed up the H/C/I to modern day standards and they are putting out 300rwhp + n/a. Now that is equal to 360-380FWHP and around 400FWTQ. Then you have the LS1 rated at 305 FWHP and 335FWTQ..So what's the big deal about an LS1?

Pokageek said:
Car looks Nice..so here the question...

Our sn95's were not upgraded with the equivalent H/C/I as the chevys because torque sold the cars and Ford decided not persue more HP. So enthusiasts like us beefed up the H/C/I to modern day standards and they are putting out 300rwhp + n/a. Now that is equal to 360-380FWHP and around 400FWTQ. Then you have the LS1 rated at 305 FWHP and 335FWTQ..So what's the big deal about an LS1?

So I take it you are used to racing in the NMRA Street Dynojet class?:rolleyes:

You can't race a dyno and say this car is faster / that car is faster. The fact is is that the engines have great power all around and really haul down the track, while maintaining stock idle, 22 mpg, and emissions compliance. Stock LS1s are trapping 107s and 108s with low 13 second times.

Adam

"Stock LS1s are trapping 107s and 108s with low 13 second times."

Sounds like they are putting out more than advertised HP to me. Still, a H/C/I 5.0 can do 12's. Just because the stock LS1 gets H/C/I doesn't make it anymore facinating to me. The xtra cubes are nice though. :)

"So I take it you are used to racing in the NMRA Street Dynojet class?"

Sorry, I don't know what that means.

OOPS, we are getting a little off topic.

The LS1 is more than just numbers. It's got a very flat torque curve, aluminum block, massive ports on the heads, etc. It's a FAR superior engine than the 1960's era Ford Windsor blocks in every way, simply because GM decided to put research and new technology into a platform that they intended to keep; pushrods and all. Have you ever seen one in person? They're sex bolted to a chassis. That stock LS1 is right around the power level of your standard run of the mill H/C/I 302, and with mods, is just fatal to a 5.0. Very interesting project, I can't wait to see some track times!

Pokageek said:
Sounds like they are putting out more than advertised HP to me. Still, a H/C/I 5.0 can do 12's. Just because the stock LS1 gets H/C/I doesn't make it anymore facinating to me. The xtra cubes are nice though. :)

Stock LS1's generally put down 280-300RWHP, so yeah they are underated. ;)

Low-5.0 said:
Stock LS1's generally put down 280-300RWHP, so yeah they are underated. ;)
:Word:

extremely underrated.

can my 302 make 100hp/liter n/a? hell no, but a LS1 can get damn close to it.

The LS1 has redefined the american V8 and ford has failed to produce comparable competition.

so to you LS1 swap into a fox guy :nice:

to ford for not making an updated 5.0/5.8 pushrod motor :notnice: :notnice: :notnice: :nonono:

bimmertech said:
:Word:

extremely underrated.

can my 302 make 100hp/liter n/a? hell no, but a LS1 can get damn close to it.

The LS1 has redefined the american V8 and ford has failed to produce comparable competition.

so to you LS1 swap into a fox guy :nice:

to ford for not making an updated 5.0/5.8 pushrod motor :notnice: :notnice: :notnice: :nonono:

:lol:

Im only making approx. 77hp/liter n/a(449rwhp+18% drivetrain loss=530hp). Stupid LS1 :(

No wait......Stupid Ford :nonono:

Low-5.0 said:
:lol:

Im only making approx. 77hp/liter n/a(449rwhp+18% drivetrain loss=530hp). Stupid LS1 :(

No wait......Stupid Ford :nonono:

imagine if your engine had 1.2 liters less displacement and made the same power :shrug:

its not that i hate ford, its just that they dropped the ball. how many n/a 4.6's are making 400 at the tires?

if they made a pushrod V8 5.0/5.8 with 6 bolt mains, skirted crank, enclosed lifter valley, high flow/velocity heads(like gm and dc have done), noone would care what the new slomaro/challenger would look like.:bang: