My motor Blew on Friday night

lvmustanggt

Apr 9, 2006
Las Vegas
Friday aug 28th night I went to the tack and was hooking really good even my DR got no thread left. First run I hook good 1-2 and 3 gear I had no power so I shut it down , when I park I see EGR Vacuum Solenoid electrical connection was burn and melted and one of the hose that goes poped out cause big vacuum leak. I plug that hose back in and car was running just like before and everything was good.

After letting it cooled for hour or so I went and race one more time, 1-2 gear pulled like crazy but at 3 gear high it lost power so I shut it down but was too late and heard lot's of metal clunk and smoke all over the place. Try to slow down but at over 100 and oil all over the place including front brakes. Pull over at the track and look to see oil everywhere and see few safety trucks flashing lights comming towards me. I was shocked it happen to me as I din't know what to do. Worried and shock I was frozen .

Thanks god my buddy frank was there so I called him , he also didn't belive it blew as my car was running very well . Towed my car to parking lot . Without him I didn't know what to do who to call, Big thanks to my buddy Frank.

Family man with one 20 months old daughter and one on the way in 10 weeks this thing happen so it sucks big time. But in the good side now I can have build motor that Frank will build , even with very little budget if will be a nice motor that will make some serious power.

So 30 bucks EGR Vacuum Solenoid made my franking motor blew, sad.:( sad.

Here is my youtube
YouTube - lovetorace's Channel

• Sponsors (?)

Damn. Sorry to hear the bad news on the motor.

Looked like it ran very nice in the vids.

If I can help out in some odd way, lemme know. I am in Vegas too.

Thanks for your support and kinds words, Good to know you from here too. I know few mustang guys here and Frank( guy with black cobra R wing cobra that goes 9.5 sec 1/4 miles) is my buddy and he will be building my motor.

This is not the time to spend money on cars as I am going to have 2nd baby girl in less then 10 weeks but have no choose as it's my DD. I wish I was some rich guy with lot's of cars so if one blows it's not a big deal. :(
Car was running great till friday night, my turbo kit on and running about 4 months . Was fun ...

I may not be a 4.6'er, but I checked out those Youtube videos and that car looked sick. Sorry about the motor, man, but hopefully you had some great times with it. :nice: Good luck with the new one, and with the baby!

That's too bad, man. At least you were in good company. Vacuum can be pretty important for FI set-ups, i'm surprised it just ran fine at first after that. Good luck with the build, i sourced all the parts here and there for mine myself and saved like 50% at the end of the day - but that takes awhile.

It's really too bad that is your daily driver it's definately a difficult situation to be. I used to daily drive my 88 while trying to go for best ET. It just doesn't work which is why I have a different daily driver that is nearly stock.

How much boost were you running that night? Your video shows 420rwhp at 8.2psi, which is boarder line on borrowed time. Seems you just weren't lucky though.

It is pretty much impossible that the vacuum leak causes the engine failure. The hose is letting out metered air under boost, thus it only causes the engine to run RICHER. Running richer is no problem at all, and there is even less chance for detonation. I'm confident you'll find a broken connecting rod. The connecting rod broke under the vacuum condition from when you lifted. You said you were at the top of 3rd. The connecting rod broke under tension. At high rpms, the pistons is putting large centrifugal forces on the rod, trying to pull it apart. Under load, the forces of combustion are pushing the piston down to reduce that tension, but the moment you let off the gas, it is a vacuum. That means, even more tension trying to pull the rod apart. This is why most people break connecting rods when letting off from high rpms. You see it at the track all the time: connecting rods often let go at the top end of the track when people let off, because of the high engine speeds and high vacuum condition. Same in your case, but it was the top of 3rd.

I'm curious, what were your 1/8th mile times and speeds on these passes?

It's really too bad that is your daily driver it's definately a difficult situation to be. I used to daily drive my 88 while trying to go for best ET. It just doesn't work which is why I have a different daily driver that is nearly stock.

How much boost were you running that night? Your video shows 420rwhp at 8.2psi, which is boarder line on borrowed time. Seems you just weren't lucky though.

It is pretty much impossible that the vacuum leak causes the engine failure. The hose is letting out metered air under boost, thus it only causes the engine to run RICHER. Running richer is no problem at all, and there is even less chance for detonation. I'm confident you'll find a broken connecting rod. The connecting rod broke under the vacuum condition from when you lifted. You said you were at the top of 3rd. The connecting rod broke under tension. At high rpms, the pistons is putting large centrifugal forces on the rod, trying to pull it apart. Under load, the forces of combustion are pushing the piston down to reduce that tension, but the moment you let off the gas, it is a vacuum. That means, even more tension trying to pull the rod apart. This is why most people break connecting rods when letting off from high rpms. You see it at the track all the time: connecting rods often let go at the top end of the track when people let off, because of the high engine speeds and high vacuum condition. Same in your case, but it was the top of 3rd.

I'm curious, what were your 1/8th mile times and speeds on these passes?

Thanks for nice info. I really don't know what was mine time , when it broke it was about mid or 3rd gear but I am sure it was around 4k rpm plus. One more thing I am thinking is when I did gt supercar pump I put 1ft long sumrsable fuel line hose with some clamps and was woundring it might have not been tight or poped out cause lean condition :( Oh god Help

I am just one sad mofo right now

first of all , congratulations on your coming baby , whatever happens to the car , remember its just metal and cant be rebuilt , nothing to be standing upon and mourn about , i know its emotional to lose your motor , but you knew you had a chance to blow it all along the moment you put a FI source on it , what matters is you being well , it could have been much worse and you could have been hurt for example , but your fine , this is something to thank god for , always look at the bright side of things , you should pick up a beater just for these kind of situations from now on.

and oh.... it was slow anyway View attachment 247262

J/K :rlaugh:

Good post. I'm thinking the order of failure was a bit different though.

The OP mentions a 3rd gear power loss. He limped back to the pits, found some issues and went back out again, whereupon the 3rd gear power issue reappeared along with a bunch of shiny parts under the back tires. I agree: a simple EGR vacuum leak didn't cause this. To me it sounds like fuel starvation. I think the engine rattled (detonated) hard when it ran out of fuel and possibly damaged a piston. The first event may have terminally hurt the engine and the second episode sent it over the edge. If the piston shattered, obviously control of the top of the rod is lost and the block is quickly ventilated. I also think he'll find evidence of what appears to be a rod failure but I bet it started with a broken piston.

420rwHP on stock internals is really pushing it. There's simply no margin for any sort of error...

After all the leaks were fix with exhaust and put turbo blanket it was showing about 8.5-9 psi of boost. I have been driving like this about a month with no problem. I will pull fuel tank and see if that hose might have come loose.

first of all , congratulations on your coming baby , whatever happens to the car , remember its just metal and cant be rebuilt , nothing to be standing upon and mourn about , i know its emotional to lose your motor , but you knew you had a chance to blow it all along the moment you put a FI source on it , what matters is you being well , it could have been much worse and you could have been hurt for example , but your fine , this is something to thank god for , always look at the bright side of things , you should pick up a beater just for these kind of situations from now on.

and oh.... it was slow anyway View attachment 247257

J/K :rlaugh:

Thank you for kind words and motivation. :nice: ASAP funs available I will get beater car just for work.

Sounds like a melted/broken ring land, and possibly the 1st compression ring. Good luck!

:scratch: The ring or ring lands may have broken because of detonation, but the real cause of failure is a broken rod. But certainly, you can't tell from the description.

A broken ring or ring land would not blow oil all over everything. I've broken both compression rings in one cylinder before and the only result was really bad smoke at idle. It still had power, it still ran smoothly, it still held oil, and I drove it about 10 miles home.

Thanks for nice info. I really don't know what was mine time , when it broke it was about mid or 3rd gear but I am sure it was around 4k rpm plus. One more thing I am thinking is when I did gt supercar pump I put 1ft long sumrsable fuel line hose with some clamps and was woundring it might have not been tight or poped out cause lean condition :( Oh god Help

U only have 1 gt supercar pump????? I think u ran out of fuel, When i was a heads, cams car with a 100 shot my ford gt pump was at 90% dc.... and i was making 403 rwhp.. After the new 5.0 bottom end and i upped the shot to 150 i had to run a 2 pump set up...:shrug:

Went to my buddy's shop , found more holes then I though.

IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg