My pass. side rattle is fixed...here's how!

coladin

May 9, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
Have had it since day 1.

Metallic sounding. It gets worse when it is colder. Hence during the summer months, it wasn't too bad, but now it is back. With a vengeance.

I have pushed down on the aluminum trim. It stops.

I have reached underneath, inside the glove box and pushed down. It stops.

My dealer has finally fixed it and I begged them to do a TSB on it.

There is a rear mounting bracket behind the airbag that has to be tightened. There are some wires that touch this metal bracket unless everything is good and tight. That's all.

Now, the car is so quiet and lovely that I knew I had to share the fix with all of you other s suffering with the most irritating rattle that I have ever experienced.

• Sponsors (?)

can you give a better description of the rattle? i have a rattle that "is normal" :bs: coming from the right side. varies with engine load. sounds like some parts rattling together. sounds like it is fairly low, i thought engine. the service dept. messed with the exhaust and tightend up a few things, then said "its normal"...pics would also be good, thanks

bigcat said:
can you give a better description of the rattle? i have a rattle that "is normal" :bs: coming from the right side. varies with engine load. sounds like some parts rattling together. sounds like it is fairly low, i thought engine. the service dept. messed with the exhaust and tightend up a few things, then said "its normal"...pics would also be good, thanks

It is metallic sounding with a very high frequency. It happens especially when cold and you must turn up the stereo to not hear it. Very annoying and goes away when you ;ush down on the aluminum trim.

coladin said:
This most certainly is a dealer job. After all, the problem is a car problem since new. Plus, you have to take the dash apart to get behind the airbag.

On an enthusiast site, no matter what the job, it is always better to do it yourself then let the dealer handle it.

coladin said:
It is metallic sounding with a very high frequency. It happens especially when cold and you must turn up the stereo to not hear it. Very annoying and goes away when you ;ush down on the aluminum trim.
is it the aluminum trim? i dont have the upgraded interior......just black.

I too have always had the annoying passenger side dash rattle. Mine's 11 months old, and I still haven't taken it to/don't want to take it to a dealer.

I can drop down, then remove the glove box, and see the 2 passenger air bag module bolts that hold the airbag. The shop manual says these should be torqued to (only!) 8 lb-ft. Mine were already tightened quite a bit more from the factory when I tried it with a ratchet. I used some rubber tape around the electrical connector, so in a few weeks when the colder weather starts I'll see if that helps or not.

This is a good thread, I'm sure we'll get this figured out, grrrr....

On an enthusiast site, no matter what the job, it is always better to do it yourself then let the dealer handle it.

Why would you want the dealer to handle it if you have already fixed it yourself???

I agree it is almost always better to do it yourself, most "mechanics" are idiots.

BLK05GT said:
I too have always had the annoying passenger side dash rattle. Mine's 11 months old, and I still haven't taken it to/don't want to take it to a dealer.

I can drop down, then remove the glove box, and see the 2 passenger air bag module bolts that hold the airbag. The shop manual says these should be torqued to (only!) 8 lb-ft. Mine were already tightened quite a bit more from the factory when I tried it with a ratchet. I used some rubber tape around the electrical connector, so in a few weeks when the colder weather starts I'll see if that helps or not.

This is a good thread, I'm sure we'll get this figured out, grrrr....

Today was a good first test, 8 degrees celsius this morning. AAAAHHHHH....quiet and rattle free!

I encourage all to get it fixed at the dealer, I am a much happier person in my Mustang now!