My TB Spacer Nightmare

Mean03V6

Jan 28, 2004
Houston, Texas
Well guys, have I got a story for you. I went to get my Motorvator installed at a shop up here by my house. The guy said he'd charge me the standard shop fee of $60 and that it would take about an hour to do. So I said sure, go ahead and they went to work on it. Well, about forty five minutes in the guy comes in and says, "Hey, you're looking at an additional $65 for the install." :( :mad: :bs: I said, "Why?" He said, and I quote, "Well, we couldn't get it to fit so we went ahead and CUT YOUR INTAKE." I was, of course, po'd. Long story short, they got it on there, but I paid alot more than I wanted. So, pretty bad experience right? It gets better. I get the car home, turn it off and as i do, I notice that the second I turned the car off a loud rattle came from under the hood. I fired it back up and heard a rattle for just a split second. Wondering what the deal was, I put it in drive and instantly my entire car was filled with a loud aggravating vibration as if something was rubbing the hood. :mad: Now, I knew that my strut tower brace was the highest point and if anything was touching it would have to be that, so I checked. It wasn't. Come to find out, the spacer had been such a tight fit with my intake that my intake was vibrating against my right strut tower. :notnice: I tried to make adjustments to compensate, but nothing seemed to get my intake far enough away from the tower. So, I shacked it for the night and the next day, I took it to the performance shop that I usually use. After about thirty minutes, they had it reconfigured and there was no rattle. However, they charged me $25 to do it. So at this point, my total for the spacer and install was $265, about which I was :mad: to say the least. So I figured, whatever, I didn't have a choice about paying for the original install since they didn't tell me they were going to double the price until they were finished installing it. I go home glad the whole thing is over....but it isn't. :bang: Tonight I roll my car out to go for a cruise. I turn the key, the engine cranks. All of a sudden my tach is jumping from 500-1,000 rpm's over and over and idling extremely rough. I pull it out to the end of my driveway and stop to let a car go by. It starts idling really rough again and by now, I'm ready to :chair: someone. So I watch the tach and, after about ten seconds, my car goes dead and the battery and check engine lights come on. I turn it off, crank it. The engine comes to life and dies just as quick. I get out, pop the hood. I'll be s#$% if the lower part of my intake hadn't fully seperated. How, I don't know, but it did. So, with the help of my brother I got the lower end reattached. Now it seems to work fine, but first thing in the morning I'm going to take it back to the shop I usually go to and have them re-check it to make sure it isn't going to come undone again. Now, with the spacer on, I have to say that I can't tell a bit of difference between before and after as far as power goes. My car only has 15k miles on it and I felt like a real jacka$$ having to already jack with stuff under the hood, especially with my Camaro-driving Chevy-loving brother there to rub it in, even though clearly it wasn't a factory issue. So, I just wanted to share that with you guys and if anyone has a strut tower brace and plans to get a spacer, don't do it. It isn't worth the effort. Looking back on this whole experience, I want to just :chair: :chair: :uzi: :uzi: and forget it ever happened. :nonono: :bs: :mad: :notnice:

• Sponsors (?)

Wow, I had a little problem with my exhaust install, but dayum. There is probably someone nearby who would've been willing to help. A guy off of V6power drove from Whichita to Tulsa to help me install my shift kit. Let us know what happens :(

I had that same problem with the idle and the vibration at first. But the idle problem was caused from me not adjusting the throttle cables at all. it was pretty much just crank...ignition, dead. I was like WTH?! So I read the *instructions* this time and in nice fine print it stated "adjustment to throttle cables may be required for proper working ability". Hmmm, ok then, fixed the cables, basically just pulled em out a bit, then I played with the little throttle set on the TB (that little screw that the throttle plate hits). One thing on adjusting the little screw, if you take it too far, the MIL will come on because the ECM loses it's ability to do what it wants with the idle, so just be ready if you do decide to go that way yourself.the vibration, The pipe that connected the MAF to the TB began rattling, again I'm like WTH?! so I try and realign it for hours, and nothing. I'm kind of at the point where, wonder which one will wear out faster, the strut tower or the pipe, *rhetorical question*. So I decide to go get some padding to separate the piping from the tower, It's been working for about 6 months without an issue.

[QUOTE='03 6-Speed]I had that same problem with the idle and the vibration at first. But the idle problem was caused from me not adjusting the throttle cables at all. it was pretty much just crank...ignition, dead. I was like WTH?! So I read the *instructions* this time and in nice fine print it stated "adjustment to throttle cables may be required for proper working ability". Hmmm, ok then, fixed the cables, basically just pulled em out a bit, then I played with the little throttle set on the TB (that little screw that the throttle plate hits). One thing on adjusting the little screw, if you take it too far, the MIL will come on because the ECM loses it's ability to do what it wants with the idle, so just be ready if you do decide to go that way yourself.the vibration, The pipe that connected the MAF to the TB began rattling, again I'm like WTH?! so I try and realign it for hours, and nothing. I'm kind of at the point where, wonder which one will wear out faster, the strut tower or the pipe, *rhetorical question*. So I decide to go get some padding to separate the piping from the tower, It's been working for about 6 months without an issue.[/QUOTE]

You know, that's EXACTLY what they suggested I do..get some padding to separate the piping from the tower. I thought about it, but I didn't think that it'd look too cool to have a piece of padding wedged in there. Call me stupid b/c I never have to show off the engine or anything. I'm just really picky how it looks under the hood even though I never look...well..under the hood..lol. At any rate, since I re-did the connection on the lower half of the intake, it seems to be holding well. I decided not to take it back to the shop b/c all they are going to do is look under the hood and say, "Yep, it's connected." I can see that fine for myself, thanks. lol. The piping for my intake is now about 1/8" from the tower so it's not vibrating, but I'm wondering how long before it winds up rubbing again, IF it does which, with my luck, it will. Not much you can do about it though. The car companies don't give us jobbers much room to work with under the hood anymore. Well, thanks for the advice. :cheers:

Jamez said:
Wow, I had a little problem with my exhaust install, but dayum. There is probably someone nearby who would've been willing to help. A guy off of V6power drove from Whichita to Tulsa to help me install my shift kit. Let us know what happens :(

:nice: That was kewl of him to help you out man. Unfortunately, I haven't met anyone around this area who even likes the 3.8L, much less wants to lend a hand to help fix one. Shoot, I'd help someone fix their 4.6 if I had the knowledge that they needed. I say, a Mustang is a Mustang, from the four to the supercharged 8 and we should all stick together. :nice: :spot: