My top won't go back up

I wasn't sure if this would be in talk or tech but since i'ts a 95 i figured there was probably a big difference between the 93 and below tops and ours...anyways here's the problem

Today was beautiful and i was at my boyfriends house all day so instead of being anal like usual and putting up the top i just left it down all day from about 1:30 to 8:45. when i got home and tried to put up the top it lifted normally but then stopped a good ways away from where it usually does and i couldn't get it to latch even with trying to force it. i kept holding the button and pushing at the same time and pulling up the e-brake more(don't ask why, i'll try anything) and nothing really worked until after about 15 minutes of struggling i was able to force it on, but it wasn't pretty. what causes this? is it because it was down for so long and it had just settled in that position or is there a problem with my top

OT-everybody wish me luck i just mailed off my application for a female driver search(drag racing) thing and i'm really excited/nervous about it so all positive thoughts would be much appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

how far away did it stop, if i have mine down for a short period it it comes about 2 inches away from the latch...if i leave it down all day, it comes to about 3-3 1/2 inches from where it latches and is hard to pull down.

i don't know inches wise but usually when i just have it down for an hour or so all i have to do is push down on the top a little and it will latch just fine. this time it took a good 15 minutes of holding down the button(not the whole time of course) in combination with pushing to get it close enough to lock at all

i would put it down for about an hour or less tomorrow and then see how it closes.if it closes fine then i would put it down for as long as you had it down today. then if its hard to close again you'll know its just the cloth retracting....might sound stupid but its worth a shot, if mines down for its hard to close

It seems to be normal for this to happen when it starts to get colder at night like lately. The top starts to shrink and get firm unlike when its closed and stretched out in the sun.
I had the same problem with all of my vinyl vert tops. The cloth one I have now never has had that issue since I installed it. I used to hate trying to latch it and try to align the studs at the same time while pulling down hard as a mofo on the top.

Sounds like your pump isn't putting enough pressure out, or the cylinders/lines are leaking.

Either way you need to remove the back seat coushin & check the fluid level, and check for leaks.

If the fluid is low, you have a leak, and you need to fix it. You can procrastinate fixing the leak if you can't afford new parts. Leave the pump attached to the bracket, remove the fill plug (black rubber plug about 2" long, and a diameter of about the size of a dime), add ATF into the pump until it overflows out the fill plug hole.

Leave the plug out of the pump, cycle the top up and down, and check the level. If it gets lower, add some more ATF. Repeat this process about 6 times, or until the ATF level doesn't lower anymore.

Then replace the fill plug & try the top again. If it's better, then great! If not, then the leak is too bad, or the pump/cylinders need to be replaced.

You may want to have someone to help you during the process. The top may get stuck, and it's nice to have someone to lift the top while another presses the button. Oh, and ATF = automatic transmission fluid.
Scott