Nasty looking distributer... What do you think?

JDubz50

Jul 7, 2011
Minnesota
So I was double checking making sure I had the right firing order after doing a plug/wire install when I decided to take the cap off and look at the distributor. Here is what she looked like:

20120313_144300.jpg

Does this mean that I have to change the whole distributor or can I just do the cap and rotor like I was originally planning? Should I go with MSD?

• Sponsors (?)

If it were me, I'd go to the junkyard, find one without the corrosion like you're seeing, head to NAPA and get the parts to rebuild it. However, it might be easier for you to get a new one.......

You might be knocking on "bad PIP's" front door....do a search on here for PIP...you'll probably find out a lot about parts store replacement and MSD dizzys....more than you'll want to know....

then again, if it worked fine before you took it apart....leave well enough alone and put it back together....although I think your mind is already made up...I wouldn't leave that as is.

good luck

Yea I'm pretty strapped on cash right now after giving the car a tune up and some new parts and also just having to replace the navigation in my jeep. So if I can get away with driving it for a little longer then that will help me out a lot. Also, MSD is one I should stay away from? I thought they were a good brand. What ones do you recommend?

It's probably OK to drive it like this. Many people are driving around with surface rust in there. If it makes you feel better, try cleaning it out. Just don't use harsh chemicals. You could use contact cleaner and a rag or Lectra Clean.

20120313_144300.jpg

Does this mean that I have to change the whole distributor?

That DOES look nasty. You might be able to buy some time for that distributor by stripping it down and cleaning every component thoroughly (including the rust) but when you eventually have some cash, get a new OEM replacement.
MSD used to be a top brand name but their product quality seems to have gone down since they started outsourcing their manufacturing outside the USA.

Is there any benefits replacing the stock one with an aftermatket one? Is it okay to drive it in the state that it is currently in without causing any damage?

The only benefit to an aftermarket one is if you have clearance issues with massive fuel rails. I've seen cars run 8 second quarter miles on a stock distributor. I have yet to see an MSD distributor make it over 1000 miles. If you don't have massive fuel rails, then there is no incentive to go with any of the aftermarket ones. I'd drive it the way it is, wouldn't clean it or anything. Odds are something else will fail in that distributor long before that plate rusts enough to break. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes another 10 years just the way it is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And when it does brake, hop your butt down to the parts store and get a factory replacement for $100.

Kurt

Thanks for the replies guys. Im pretty sure im just going to try and clean it up a bit and see if I can get it to last me through this summer. It seems to be running fine the way it is and I figure since I have been driving with it that bad that it should be okay until I can get a new one. Thanks again for the replies!