need advice on engine placement

wicked93gs

15 Year Member
Sep 30, 2006
Nashville TN
alright...bad time to be asking advice...but my motor mounts arent quite finalized, so if I am going to change them, now is the time...the tranny mount I am not worried about....its set up to be able to slide back 2 inches or so...anyway here is a picture...

PicturesfromKellysCameraJune1420-37.jpg

this is the back firewall....the engine could obviously do with being moved back....but I would like to know where other people's engines ended up...mod motors preferred, but pushrods work just as well

• Sponsors (?)

If your motor can be moved back some then I would probably do it.

You may want to check that there is room for your radiator and fan setup. You may also want to see how your headers will fit.

I have RMP adjustable motor mounts on mine. It made my headers fit better and allowed for my fan and larger radiator to have good clearance.

Also, having the motor farther back will help with weight transfre and handling some.

well, I moved the engine back today 1 1/4" today, took me 5 hours to re-fabricate the mount brackets and get the angle...this time it ended up somewhere between 2.5 and 3 degrees...here are a few pics, thanks for the advice guys...looks much better...was also able to get the engine just a touch lower....as low as possible now there is maybe 1/16 clearance between the oil pan and rack...going to have to clearance the pan now...more work leads t....more work

PicturesfromKellysCameraJune1420-41.jpg

much better at the rear firewall, that gap was annoying...this car ill have no heater, I'll be removing these lines and blocking off the ports....unless I change my mind

PicturesfromKellysCameraJune1420-40.jpg

plenty of room up front for radiators and fans and twin turbos oh my!

PicturesfromKellysCameraJune1420-39.jpg

PicturesfromKellysCameraJune1420-38.jpg

the shifter is as far back as possible without tunnel mods