Need an opinion please----> Rear Axle

well my graciuos trinity youve got it, and great point on rpm vs tq. my engine peaked tq at 4300rpm and showed a 11% decrease at 5600rpm. my engine was running off the npi tune from the stock computer. even if it were tuned i dont think id see more power or tq at these rpms if had enough fuel at 6000rpm. if your launching a stock bottom end at 6000rpm your a dork. you will break something then. typical launchs on a stock motor should be around 3000-4200rpm in the engins tq curve.

• Sponsors (?)

i did my stock axles and at 2800, and no problems. good burnout first up after the trac was prepped from were motorcycles just finished, and 4th in line the 2nd pass. oh and if you bogg you might check out your ride, cause mine for almost stock leaves like a bat out of hell thus running an 8.92 in the 1/8th.

What were you 60 ft time 2.something.... come on now it might feel likes its leaaving like "a bat out of hell" but it probably doesn't have enough rpm to get out of its own way! When you can hit 1.6 or lower 60ft times with launching at 2800 rpms come see me. I launch my car off the limiter (6000) with stock suspension with m/t et drags and cut 1.6 60s and have no issues out of my 31 spline axles and limited slip. My point being if you are to build a rear get 31 spine stuff why you are at it don't go buy "new" 28 spline crap and chance it breaking again!

FWIW...I got my 8.8 with 3.73's from FRPP from someone on eBay for $700 shipped. Not an upgraded unit but the stock unit with "factory" 3.73's works for me. I think it even came with a warranty.

how much hp you runnin ninja, the 00gt @ around 500+hp has a 60ft in 1.42. im thinkin the the only thing he broke taken it above 4200rpm was the traction. if you have to much hp you can overpower the track. so there is a fine line in were you launch your car. lower hp cars can launch at higher rpms while higher hp cars is best launched at lower then red lined rpms.

I have seen a bone stock 1999-2004 4.6 car break 28 spline axles on E/T street, I have seen a 94 cobra with an E cam being it's only mod break stock 28 spline axles.

At the end of the day, they are still 28 spline axles. Buying upgraded 28 spline axles would be like buying an upgraded 10 spline input shaft for a 3650. It's still going to break WAY more quickly than a 31 spline axle, and they cost the same.

heres another point to add to stumbaugh's, everything is made to break. i was nosing around last night and found an article of a guy using 31spline axles with 490hp-510ft/lbsTQ and snapped his passenger side axle. his setup was ET streets, 3.73s, moser 31spl, richmond trutrac locker, and a built auto. he launchs at 4500rpms at his peak tq. so am i saying my buddys 00gt is bullet proof, hell no eventually itll bust but until then hes driven what hes got.

Well FAST97 I only put down 277 hp without cams, then added cams and untuned went a 12.21 full weight stock suspension. What is your buddy running with 500 hp on spray? You still never answer my question on what your 60ft time were. And yes anything could break, but that is more then likely an exception not a common known. What is a common known is the 31 spline axles are way stronger then 28 spline axles.

Its great to see where this post went from when i originally started it. So i want to give you all an update and I would like to get an opinion on the outcome. Keep in mind that I was unable to do any of this work on my own and had to resort on a shop to do the work.

I was charged $2250 out the door for all the work, parts, and tax. This is what the job includes (I've priced the items on eBay to get an idea of part cost):
1. Spider Gears ($130)
2. Ring and pinion 3.73s ($245)
3. Traction Lok rebuilt kit ($95)
4. 2X Rear axle shafts ($250)
5. Front Axle Bearing ($45)
6. 2x Rear Tires Nexxen ($300)

The total in parts would be around $1100. So thats $1150 in labor :(
Does this seem right? or am i being pounded in the rear

damn!!
that seems a little high to me.
i rebuilt mine with FRPP 3.73's and all new everything for around $500.

where are you located?
i have a complete rear for sale out of my 94GT.
PM me for details.

davis3--- im located in ft.lauderdale Fl. It does seem a bit high. Im getting a 2 year warranty along with the deal. Unfortunately, I already went along with the work because they had my car and im starting school soon so it was an emergency thing. You think I should ask for an itemized list of all the parts that went in or something? I just think I'm being totally ripped off. And i told him I'm doing this using my student loans.