Need AOD help: Only have 2nd gear in every shifter position

Notchbackdrew

Mar 21, 2006
I got everything installed and flush on my AOD, new tranny fluid, new PI hardened input shaft, new Edge Torque Converter, and my old Art Carr manual Valve body. So after driving around in what I thought was first for a few minutes to break everything in I went ahead and tryed going into second by shifting into "D", the RPM's stayed the same. I went home and parked it.

This morning I put it in reverse to back up, reverse lights come on, but lo and behold, it starts moving forward. I then put it in neutral, apply some gas and it still rolls forward as if Ive never left 2nd gear. I checked the shift linkage and its moving the lever on the tranny just fine.

One thing, when installing the manual valve body I took it out of my old tranny which had medal shavings all in the pan. I didnt clean the valve body, I just put in new gaskets. Also I had to torque the Manual vlave body to 120in lbs because thats the lowest setting on my torque wrench and the manual calls for 80-100in lbs. Does this sound like a problem with the manual valve body or a problem with the tranny? The tranny runs fine around town in 2nd gear.

• Sponsors (?)

metal shavings in the valve body will cause this type of problems valve is stuck because of the debris i would remove, disassemble and clean the valve body and flush system install new fluid and filter...i had the same problem in a gmc tranny its not fun attempting to remove the debris but goodluck..

things must be spotless in the tranny any little piece of dirt will screw things up like that. my friend had his tranny in his truck (same as one in my sig almost) out 3 times because of a dirty work area. Also check your linkages and all that real good.

live and learn. You're just going to have to take the vb out and clean it out. Might even have to disassemble it one section at a time and cleant it out. Flush the trans and you are back in business.