Need (but can't find) Idler Pulley

dsg02

Jul 6, 2003
Anyone know where I can find an idler pulley to replace the squeaking one in my 95GT? Ford doesn't sell just the pulley anymore and every aftermarket place I've checked keeps trying to give me the tensioner pulley and twice they tried to order one and every time it arrives, guess what... it's another tensioner pulley.

Thanks,
Greg

• Sponsors (?)

I got mine from a place called Boardwalk Autoparts, I think its just a FL thing but you never know. Called up and asked for a 95 Mustang GT Idler Pulley and was there on the first try and costed about 18 bucks, compaired to the 25 dollar one discount autoparts sold me that was wrong :rolleyes: I dont think i've gotten 1 part that was actually right from them :lol:

Rio 5.0,

Take a look at the picture on the page you linked to. Doesn't that look like the pulley on the tensioner assembly? I'm talking about the upper idler pulley. What do you think?

Are you sure NAPA still has the idler pulleys and not just the tensioner pulleys? Since Ford stopped selling them as a separate piece they seem hard to find. Thanks.

that link Rio put up is the exact same idler pulley that I have on my car

engine02.jpg

94GTLaserRC said:
Damn... For a few bucks more, you can a Wazee ALuminum Idler pulley!
RC
Are you talking about the $50 one on that website or the $18 one that I got from a local store? I doubt the wazee is going to be anywhere near $18. So far I have not had any problems with my pulley not having and lips on the side to hold the belt in place. I needed a pulley, my old one was about worn through, and the price was right so I went with that one

I don't even use an idler pulley! you don't need it to run right... as it turns out, I couldn't even get my belt back on w/o taking some pulleys off after I installed my ASP set... the belt was way too tight and squealed hella bad w/ the idler pulley on...

327764_26_full.jpg

-btw, did I mention that I did 2/3 of my racing season this year w/o a idler pulley? yeah... no problem... just listen to your engine, and watch your temp gauge just to make sure :nice:

-

I got a dayco replacement from my local parts store (the one I worked at), it is metal and goes for around 20-30 bucks. I needed to replace my idler and tensioner pullies and it costed me around 60-70 bucks for both.