Need engine help :(

cobraii74x

Aug 27, 2003
Altoona, PA
:( Getting ready to take the car down for new rearend.... it hasent been run in a lil and i figure i would get it ready before the last minute. I go out.. fill up the radiator ( one hell of a leak - fan hit it ). Fix the trannie line using the rubber trannie hoses.. turn the key.. it cranks but doesnt fire up. so i go out.. adjust the mixtures ( they were never set so i have to play with em to get em just right ) and it cranks over and seems to fire for just a split second. I go out and there is a fire inside the carb.. not like a fireball or anything just a steady little fire.. :( That was the last time I tired anything.. anyone have any ideas I am stumped and gettin a lil fed up.

It's a 302 with a 4bbl and a 670 holley. No real other mods.... any help is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like it may be off on timing and backfired. A 670 cfm carb is too much for a stock motor too. I had a Holly 650 DP on my worked 308 and it ran excellent but was a hair too rich and would get my new sythentic oil dirty in about 500 miles. I just changed the carb out to a Holly 600cfm vacuum secondaries.

Turning down your fuel mixture, and throwing in a new/clean set of spark plugs would probably be enough to get it started.

I'd look into an electric fan setup before I bought a new radiator too. A 74 with a V8 is always a tight squeeze for even a little flex fan. Once you rev high enough you'll keep hitting the radiator.

cobraii74x said:
Well the thing is the radiator is shot.. it was shot before i got it but it hasent been driven or anything. I am going to relocate the radiator and get an electric fan but either way the radiator is goin out

Yeah, I was trying to say don't simply replace the radiator without addressing the cause of the problem. I guess I can see where it might seem that I was telling you to try keeping the current radiator and just get an electric fan.
That's not what I meant though :D

Don't spend the $$ for a factory replacement radiator. You can get an aluminum one that will fit (you'll have to make your own mounts and run an aftermarket trannie cooler) from Summit Racing for under $200. There is someone on here running one with a Boss 302 in his II and says it's working fine. That'll be my next purchase.

Well guys took it over to Tim's ( cobraii351 ) garage.. the only real concern was it overheating with the rad in the condition it is in but it made it over pretty good.. the carburetor on it had some issues and we adjusted the timing a little and then it ran okay.. we got it over there and replaced cap and rotor and plug wires and put a 600 holley on it.. runs real swell now.. :D so thats about it.. near rearend goes in here as soon as the weather cooperates..

The carb he had on it had issues to say the least. We got the thing running good now. A couple of more things to straighten out and it will run better than new.

Hey Mike it's no problem pal. Somebody's got to teach you "young pups"! :D I like to wrench, and make things run better. When you're done you'll have a sweet running ride. :nice:

Tim