Need Help!! 4.6l Mustang Gt

702saleenGT

Aug 9, 2017
IMG_3730.JPG
I have a 2000 mustang GT with a Windsor engine about 2 weeks ago it started making a knocking noise coming from the bottom end. I replaced the clutch and flywheel thinking the noise would go away also clutch was making a noise too so had to replace it. But anyways put on new flywheel and new clutch with new pilot bearing new throw out bearing and fork. And still mad a knocking noise. The knocking noise is between 2500-3200 RPMs. I've been looking around YouTube videos and they all point out to be a spun bearing. What would be the cheapest way to fix this? Should I just replace the motor with a 4.6 from a crown Vic non PI or replace the bearings? If I do replace the bearings how much would it be an estimate? Thanks guys!!

• Sponsors (?)

I may be a little late here, but it sounds like a bottom end bearing problem like you said. That being the case the engine has to come out. At the very least the crank will have to go to a machine shop to get turned, swapping a known good engine will be the cheaper option I imagine. Since your car is a 2000GT I don't think it is advisable to swap a non-PI engine in unless you plan to use your top end parts (heads up), which will result in slightly higher compression.

I may be a little late here, but it sounds like a bottom end bearing problem like you said. That being the case the engine has to come out. At the very least the crank will have to go to a machine shop to get turned, swapping a known good engine will be the cheaper option I imagine. Since your car is a 2000GT I don't think it is advisable to swap a non-PI engine in unless you plan to use your top end parts (heads up), which will result in slightly higher compression.
Hi thanks for the reply. I found a engine block from a 2001 crown Vic with rebuilt heads. It's a non pi. Can I used all my parts from my old motor and swap them over?

You can swap it all over. The 02-11 crown vic is plentiful and cheap. I just put a 35k mile 2011 crown vic in and it was reasonable. 100k motors are a dime a dozen now and cheap.

The npi short block with pi heads will be 10.5:1 vs 9.5:1 compression. A nice little bump and it helps with HP.

You can swap it all over. The 02-11 crown vic is plentiful and cheap. I just put a 35k mile 2011 crown vic in and it was reasonable. 100k motors are a dime a dozen now and cheap.

The npi short block with pi heads will be 10.5:1 vs 9.5:1 compression. A nice little bump and it helps with HP.

Ok thanks for the info! I'm gonna get the engine block tomorrow morning and start on the project. ✌

Ok thanks for the info! I'm gonna get the engine block tomorrow morning and start on the project. ✌

IMO it's a mistake to place a non-PI into a Mustang that originally came with a PI motor. Why?
  • The PCM tune will be wrong. Likely it will run but don't be surprised if there are "issues" needing a custom tune to resolve.
  • The intakes will NOT directly "plug and play" swap between a PI and non-PI.
  • There is a sizable HP difference between a PI and non-PI engines.
There are sooooooooo many SOHC PI motors available in the salvage yards this seems short sighted to me.

A 2001+ Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car (code Panther) should have a PI. What's the story how a 2001 "Panther" really have non-PI heads? Are you sure this is really a non-PI motor?

Last edited:
I agree with wm. Not only will the tune be wrong but even if you do get a tune, you lose 40ish hp right off the bat. You'll feel that and be disappointed. I've run several non PI blocks with PI heads and a little bigger throttle body. 70 -75mm is nice.Anything bigger is overkill. I really like the response of this setup. It won't outrun much of the new stuff today but it's a fun little driver, reliable and it'll get you decent MPG's. 91 octane is a must with this setup as well because of the higher compression.