need help/advice ASAP!

steveb24

Nov 28, 2005
wilmington, DE
ok guys, i messed up. i know it was dumb so dont tell me im stupid or go on and on, unless u really want too.. but i need some help.
today i was going to do my unerdrive pullies. i loosened my crank bolt, and wp pulley bolts, removed the belt. then comes taking the crank pulley and balancer off. i have the puller tool, but obviously never used it (youll see). i put the three bolts w/ washers through the holes of the puller and screwed them into the balancer/crank pulley thing. then i took the black long bolt that came with the puller tool and screwed it through the hole and into the crank bolt hole, figuring this was what you do. i didnt even realize that the crank bolt hole was not the same size as the bolt that i was screwing in it. also did not realize that you need to put a stopper thing on the end of the bolt to prevent it from going in. the directions i was using said use force, and being a fairly good sized musclehead, i was. so after 5 min of turning nothing was coming off. when i took the bolt out i realized that i basically just rethreaded the crank bolts hole and the big black bolt was stuck on the puller now. so i threaded the big black puller bolt about 5 threads into the hole (yea took me 4-5 min..it was hard).. so this is my problem. i was gonna take it to a shop and have them do it, but now my original crank bolt goes in, and threads a bit, but will not reach a point where i can not turn it anymore with a little force. so fellas, i got my stang on jack stands, a bad crank bolt hole, no idea if i messed my engine up or crank or whatever. i have no idea what to do. can somebody please gime me some guidance! thank you all very much!

• Sponsors (?)

everything is ok...

2 ways to fix it.

1. get the correct 12mm tap. and carefully rethread it.

2. use the original bolt and oil it and work it in and out. (not the new one the bolt you use will get destroyed)

if there are no threads left. you have to retap it just to clean the threads. this is no easy thing. you can't start your own new threads, you have to retap following the originals. reverse the tap and remove the chips very often. the good news is the threads are very long inside, so it hurts nothing. use generous oil. no big deal.

steveb24 said:
ok, so heres a question then..in that case..can i just put some oil on the bolt and bolt it in the best i can and drive it straight to a shop?

I would not do that. Why risk messing something up worse? I don't even know if it would hurt but if I were you and did not want to try and retap the threads ... I would prolly have it towed to a shop just to be on the safe side ...

steveb24 said:
ok, so heres a question then..in that case..can i just put some oil on the bolt and bolt it in the best i can and drive it straight to a shop?

NO NO NO :nonono: . Just retap the hole like people sugessted. OR you can have the car TOWED to the mechanic. Driving the car like that is asking for trouble.