Need help badly.

66nightMARE

Nov 26, 2004
Katy, Texas
Just bought a new battery last week. Had my brother install it for me while I out some fresh gas in. It started smoking and what not so we replaced the wire. (alt. wire). Well it started up afterwards, but if we let it sit over night, or while Im at work, then go to start it up it is COMPLETLY dead. No tick when you turn the key or anything. The only way to get it started it to jump it. After we jump it, it runs good. Doesnt die. Drove it around some last night and no problems. Went this morning to go to work and it was dead. Jumped it, took it to the auto parts store and had them check the alt. and battery and both came out fine. WTF? Am I missing something.

• Sponsors (?)

Always disconnect the ground first. In our cars that would be the negative terminal.

Sounds like you have gremlins in your wiring. If you can afford it a replacement harness would be nice. If you have the know how I'd sugest geting a painless universal kit. Painless makes a drop in replacement for 65-66 and I think they may have a 67-68 one now too but they aint cheap. Quality but expensive. They are also easy to install from what I hear.

disconnect the ground and measure the draw between the cable and neg terminal. then start pulling fuses till you find the draw. also make sure if you have your doors open, or a hood light you disable them because they will hide the draw.