Need Help Diagnosing Knocking Noise

Cr-48

Nov 21, 2012
I need some help diagnosing a knocking noise from from motor, because I have no idea where to start. My car is a '97 with about 125,000 miles on it. There are two codes from the ECU, P1131 and P1151, which indicate lean readings from the upstream O2 sensors.

About two weeks ago I noticed my car started running rough when stopped at lights, there was a low rumbling/knocking noise and vibration. This would stop as soon as I shifted it to neutral, reverse, or park. The noise and vibration would also stop as soon as I let off the brake.

Around the same time, I accelerated pretty hard (~3k RPM) and heard a terrible knocking/clunking/bearing rattle noise and the car had very little power. I haven't pushed it that hard since then, but I can hear the noise starting when I get up past 2k RPM.

The problem has gotten worse, shifting it out of gear no longer stops the noise all the time. I can hear the noise now when accelerating from a stop and even cruising at around 1-1.5K RPM. I have also noticed it is worse when facing uphill. Rocking the car back and forward in park will also make it knock.

Any ideas at all are welcome. I have always done all the work on this car myself but I'm thinking I'll need to take it in after thanksgiving, because I don't know where to start trying to find the problem.

• Sponsors(?)

blacksheep-1

Oct 21, 2006
So if you leave the car in drive and apply a small amount of gas pedal the noise really wakes up right? If so it's probably a bottom end knock, but first, pull each plug wire one at a time, with the engine running and see if the knock goes away. This could be something as simple as carbon bouncing around the combustion chamber, or a real issue. In any case remove (or ground) one wire at a time , if the noise shuts up it's in that cylinder.

Reactions: LWilson2971

kramer

May 8, 2012
stonewall oklahoma
well heres what happened to me , i really dont know enough about engine internals , to really help u , but there is a slim chance that its an exaust leak right before the first cat on the passenger side , ford designed their air conditioners to drip rght there ON THE EXHAUST and it usually causes them to crack , or atleast mine did there was such a huge crack in mine that only about an inch and a half of metal was what was keepng it attached to the passenger manifold , and it sounded like a engine knock , infact a certified mechanic even diagnosed it as that and said id have to have it rebuilt , thank god i dont let mechanics work on my car or i would have done it , but in this case it probably is internally , but check it check it with a flash light its very hard to see in that particular spot

LWilson2971

Sep 18, 2012
Since you're getting the noise under load I'm guessing it's a rod knock. Put your foot on the brake and rev it slowly and only to about 1800 or so RPM's if the knocking gets worse then it's for sure in the bottom end and more then likely a rod. With it continuing to get worse and you stated it does it worse going uphill ( again under load ) I'm about 95% sure you have a rod knock. I wouldn't travel to far from home if I were you and go easy on it because you don't want it coming apart at 5k RPMs

Tyler Neuman

Aug 27, 2015
So if you leave the car in drive and apply a small amount of gas pedal the noise really wakes up right? If so it's probably a bottom end knock, but first, pull each plug wire one at a time, with the engine running and see if the knock goes away. This could be something as simple as carbon bouncing around the combustion chamber, or a real issue. In any case remove (or ground) one wire at a time , if the noise shuts up it's in that cylinder.
What if when you unplug the cylinder the knocking gets louder?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Engine Help diagnosing a whine at low gas pedal pressures - 1998gt SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 2
RysRed96GT Need help diagnosing hesitation on 96 GT 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 2
TwinturboHoward Help Needed Diagnosing Why My Car Has A Bad Stumble Miss At Wot Only Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 15
H 2000 V6 Need Help Diagnosing 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 14
SallyPlumCrazy Need Help Diagnose Headlight Problem 90 Lx 5.0(carb) Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
R Need Help Diagnosing T Rex Fuel Pump Power Issue SVT Tech Forum 0
S Drivetrain New To Stangs, Need Help Diagnosing Aod Problem! 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 10
94-302-vert Need Help to Diagnose: Stumble and Occasional backfire 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 8
M Need Help Diagnosing Wailing 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 4
ACSPONY Need help diagnosing chatter noise Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 27
J need help diagnosing noise Classic Mustang Specific Tech 2
Nightfire Need help diagnosing her illness SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 5
STLSinger need some help diagnosing Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
Duncan McDougal Need Help Diagnosing Engine Problem (Video Included) Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 11
chrishicks need help on diagnosing this(startup related) Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
BlackOnBlackCobra96 Need help diagnosing factory radio issue Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
M Need help Diagnosing Rattle 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 6
Fett Need help diagnosing a miss, and one other odd issue. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 24
K Need help diagnosing dead power window Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
R need help diagnosing a few things Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
PrimerdFury I know sounds are hard to diagnose but I need help Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 10
N CAR NEEDS HELP, PLEASE DIAGNOSE?? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 11
xj220 Need help diagnosing a problem... Classic Mustang Specific Tech 4
BlownStangGT Need help diagnosing my eletrical problem Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
K Need help diagnosing lean codes '94 GT 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 1
T Engine Need help with 5.0 ho speed density build Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
T Questions about power steering delete!! Need help!! 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 5
R need helpful tech help Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
F Help needed 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 11
D Need sct x4 users help please. Digital Self-tuning Forum 0
E I need help with my AC system 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 5
G Engine Need help with cooling system issue Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 12
N Need Help w Heater Blower Failure 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 13
Jetzv8 2014 Mustang radio not working. NEED HELP Mustang Sound & Shine All 0
A Suspension Fox steering rack leaking need help Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
S PWM Fan controller - Need help/clarity on a purchase 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 32
F I need help Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
lamrith New MSPnP2 in 94 Mustang, need help getting stable idle once warmed up. Digital Self-tuning Forum 1
W 347 Header Size and exhaust Diameter 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 50
Z I need help with pistons 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 1
trlps_ Need help, car wont rev up or drive 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 2
T Electrical Need help with A/C clutch cycling connector Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
bmgstang Need help with tune high idle Digital Self-tuning Forum 7
S Engine Need help: heater hose routing for 92 2.3 liter 2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech 4
T First fox... she needs help. 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 42
Kylor Need help pricing 2000 Roush Stage 2 What is it Worth?!?!? 12
0 Need Help Transmission Swap 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 1
Cheapskate207 Brakes Need help with Brake ID Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 12
Wayne Waldrep Engine Trouble with the old pile...I mean car. Need some help. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
YadiStang Need help with my 1969 oil dipstick 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 8