Need help finding a TSB

CBus 06 GT

Aug 29, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I already looked through the TSB's in the sticky and I didn't see the one I need, but I know I've seen it posted before so here goes:

I have the rattle between 2,000-3,000 RPM when cold that goes away once the engine is warmed up. Basically, when I pull out in the morning, I get the rattle when I first leave, but by the time I get 2 miles down the road, it is gone and it doesn't show up again unless the car sits for several hours to cool off all the way. When I get to the office and leave 2 hours later to go on a sales call, that is not long enough for the rattle to come back.

• Sponsors (?)

I already looked through the TSB's in the sticky and I didn't see the one I need, but I know I've seen it posted before so here goes:

I have the rattle between 2,000-3,000 RPM when cold that goes away once the engine is warmed up. Basically, when I pull out in the morning, I get the rattle when I first leave, but by the time I get 2 miles down the road, it is gone and it doesn't show up again unless the car sits for several hours to cool off all the way. When I get to the office and leave 2 hours later to go on a sales call, that is not long enough for the rattle to come back.

Yeah it is caused by there being a space in between the transmission and the separator plate. I had the same problem on here a few months ago. The Ford dealership fix is to rip the tranny out, put a new plate on there, and re-install it.

Easy fix that is just as good -
1. Get some double sided auto tape.
2. Get under the car.
3. Remove the two lower bolts to the assembly.
4. Slide the double sided tape in.
5. Bolt it back up and voila.

Very easy fix and it keeps you from taking the risk of the dealership messing something up taking out the tranny. There is a gap in the separator plate that lets out air/liquid anyhow so it doesn't need to be airtight or anything. I did this and my problem was solved. Good Luck!

-Edit- Found the link to my thread about it: http://forums.stangnet.com/753729-metal-rattling-sound.html

4.6L MANUAL TRANSMISSION—SEPARATOR PLATE TSB 08-2-10
BUZZ—BUILT BEFORE 12/13/2007
FORD:
2005-2008 Mustang
ISSUE
Some 2005-2008 Mustang vehicles built before
12/13/2007 and equipped with a 4.6L engine and
manual transmission, may exhibit an oil-canning or
exhaust rattle/buzz around 2000 - 2500 RPM during
the first few minutes of driving after a cold start.
The sound goes away after the car warms up.
ACTION
The concern may be caused by the separator plate,
between the rear face of the block and the
transmission housing, vibrating and/or contacting the
flywheel. Follow the Service Procedure steps to
correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Remove transmission per Workshop Manual
(WSM), Section 308-03B.
2. Pry separator plate from rear face of block
alignment dowels, slide out from between block
and flywheel, and replace with new service
part.
3. Install transmission per WSM, Section 308-03B.
NOTE
INSTALL NEW SEPARATOR PLATE TO
TRANSMISSION BOLTS IF MISSING OR
DAMAGED.