Need help finding oem Cats for mustang

• Sponsors (?)

Why factory? Those 4 cats are terrible! Emissionswise, you would be better off ordering some catco 2 1/4 3way cats from ebay (theres a seller up there always selling them) and a summit offroad and welding/having someone else weld them together. It would be lighter, cheaper and more effective.

crazypete said:
Why factory? Those 4 cats are terrible! Emissionswise, you would be better off ordering some catco 2 1/4 3way cats from ebay (theres a seller up there always selling them) and a summit offroad and welding/having someone else weld them together. It would be lighter, cheaper and more effective.

Because he's in California - and that is the only way to be 100% legal.

bubba-dough said:
I agree, why a 4 cat $560 one when you can get a BBK with 2 cats that is 50 state emissions legal from Summit for about $370.

Just my opinion though.

Because the BBK is NOT 50 state legal - the cats they use are 50 state legal, but not the ENTIRE ASSEMBLY. Yes, this matters. Also, in Cali, if the car came with 4 cats, it HAS TO HAVE 4 cats to be legal. Bassani is supposed to have the only catted pipe with a CARB #.

can you use the H-pipe from an 87? I have one of those with the cats on it lying around. Do you just need the cats or do need the whole H-pipe? I cut the very ends off of the back of the pipe so it needs new flanges. Let me know if you need them before I throw them in the trash!

Cev is right. I just went through this (Cali is not the only place where one is not allowed to reduce the number of cats).

It is a little contrary to common sense, but that is how it works. I would rather have a new H-pipe and 2 new cats than keep the stocker around (with its age and miles) just because it has 4 cats.

Oh well.

I just went through this with my car.A new "stock" H pipe with the 4 cats was 700 bux canadian :eek: I ended up getting some piece of crap no name brand with 2 cats for about 400. I'm kicking myself in the azz now cause my exhaust sounds like crap, it pops and backfires alot now when i am gearing down.

I think you need to do a little detective work. I think it was a year or two ago on here I remember a post about these factory pipes.

It seems that if you ordered the assembly from a dealer, it would be around $600, BUT if you ordered the various part numbers for the pipes and cats from a dealer - it would come all pre-welded and be about $110!

Don't remember the details, but hopefully it helps...

bubba-dough said:
I agree, why a 4 cat $560 one when you can get a BBK with 2 cats that is 50 state emissions legal from Summit for about $370.

Just my opinion though.

i made the mistake of buying that bbk x pipe with cats bc it said 50 state legal and i failed for emissions bc of it. somehow my stepdad found a recall on the stock h pipe though and i got one for free sp now i just slap it on for inspection and its a done deal

later
steve