need help- long

Teal Tea

Jun 27, 2006
My 1991 Mustang was totalled in an accident almost a month ago. I had that car for 13 years. The car carried only liability b/c full coverage would not have been worse it, or so I thought. I didn't even get any type of reimbursement from the towing company for parts b/c the company said it wouldn't make any money off of it (even though I'm sure they could have gotten something for the parts). I had just put in a new engine a year and a half ago. I was slightly injured so I didn't really argue the point. At $100 a day to keep the car while I figured out what to do, it was too much of a hassle.

Now I'm driving my dad's '93 Buick:jaw: . Don't get me wrong I'm grateful but... I'm hoping to get another Mustang to replace the '91. If my parents don't change their minds, they will help me finance the car b/c my credit isn't as good as their credit. I will be responsible for the payments and full cover insurance.

My parents will help me finance the car but only up to a 2004 Mustang. I really wish it could be a 2005 b/c I've been salivating after that Mustang model ever since they came out. But I will take what I can.

I've only owned Mustangs. Before my '91, I had an '84 Mustang. That Mustang was ok. I had a huge problem w/ that Mustang overheating in the summer and taking forever to warm up in the winter. I wasn't that sad to see that Mustang go. I never had problems w/ my '91 though. Before the engine replacement I had a bit over 250K miles on it. It was also relatively cheap to fix.

Both the '89 and '91 Mustangs were bought at the same used Ford dealership. I don't know if I just lucked out and had some really good cars, or the dealership was just a very good one, or if Mustangs are just good cars in general. I may not buy my Mustang at the same dealership this time though b/c the oldest model they carry is the '05. I really don't want to end up w/ a lemon. So is it everyone's experience that Mustang's are just generally well made? If I could get another car that would last me about ten years I would be happy.

My '91 Mustang was a 4 cylinder. It was not a problem b/c I don't have a desire to go around drag racing. I think starting in 2000 only V6s and V8s are now being made. So I would be looking at a V6. I don't want a GT b/c of the 8 cylinder. Again I won't be drag racing. Also I am tired of having to pay high gas prices. I commute 31 miles to work one way so I'm putting a lot of mileage into the car as well as using a lot of gas. Another reason to go w/ the V6 is that my insurance won't be too high. BTW, I also read the thread concerning the V6 v V8. :)

Oh and I have one other concern. I don't know if it's an urban legend. But I saw a Ford commercial that was advertising the company and saying that Ford was making more cars that would be more compatible w/ enthanol (sp?). I thought all cars were compatible? Who is right? :shrug: At some point I may have to end up getting some type of hybrid if gas prices continue to rise. If they don't become more affordable or more numerous soon, I'll be wait it out for longer. If not I can perhaps get a cheaper Mustang that has more miles on it and won't last me that long. But at least I'll have the pleasure of driving it in the short term.

I had thought of getting some type of Honda b/c they get good gas mileage and are supposedly reliable. I love driving Mustangs though. I feel as if I have more control. W/ the Buick that I'm driving I feel as if it takes me a while to pick up speed (not surprising) but once I do so, I feel as if I'm hurtling along.

Another thing about my '91 was that I never felt the potholes or dips that I may have unexpectedly encountered. It seemed as if the car absorbed all the shock and I didn't. I was also in an accident w/ my '84. I ran a light and my rear axle took the blow and broke. I didn't come out w/ a scratch though, except for some bruising from the seatbelt. In this accident the car ended up w/ the driver's side door being yanked from the car during the impact. I mean this poor Mustang took a big hit from a pickup. Aside from my leg being badly bruised and some minor lacerations I came out ok.

For these reasons I really would love to have another Mustang. So do I have a chance of getting a nice used Mustang-either an '03 or '04? What do I have to watch out for as far as not getting lemons or are there even Mustang lemons? And is it unrealistic for me to get a V6 Mustang w/ the price of gas being what it is, even though I feel very safe in one? And excuse me if I don't sound very car saavy but I'm a woman. I know that sounds sexist but changing a flat is challenging for me. Any comments and advice would be appreciated. :)

• Sponsors (?)

Sucks about your old mustang you totalled. Your correct to stay away from V8's due to your insurance rates, but female drivers pay less rates than us male drivers. As far as trying to not buy a lemon, demand a carfax report on a car you wish to purchase. You can also ask to have a mechanic of your choosing look over the car for you and tell you if there is anything wrong with it. Find someone near you that is a Mustang Enthusiast and take them with you to scope out the car. Go to autotrader or yahoo cars and start looking. Dealerships and Used car lots can sometimes have gold mines just waiting to be purchased. I purchased my old 96 V6 Coupe 5 speed off a used car lot in McKinney, TX for $3000. Never had any major problems with it at all. My recent Mustang purchase was from a family member so I knew exactly what condition the Mustang was in. Start shopping! I hoped I helped somewhat.