Need help quick before it's too late...

Foxlover

Aug 25, 2008
DeKalb, Ill
Well to start off I have a 92 T-bird that I swapped the 3.8 for a 91 HO 5.0. with custom dual straight pipes, (no cats). That's about it for mods. But about 3 months ago I got rear ended at a full stop and the kid was in 5th shifting down to 4th. With that out of way, it caused a lot of problems from there on. It did have problems before than but it seemed to get around just fine. But one of the problems might not be from the crash and that's one of the things I wanted to ask about. I was told by my cousin who has been a mechanic for awhile now, that I should clean out my IAC vavle with carb and choke cleaner. So i did and the idle ran like it was wipe open and stopping was impossible. I had to but it in neutral to stop it. When I got to where I needed to go, it was blowing smoke out of the dipstick and was spewing out coolant because it overheated. So I did some research and found that you never clean those with solvents. So then I replaced the IAC valve because I assumed that would fix it. and it fixed the wide open problem. But then I had a problem with the idle changing from low to high and back to low all on its own. So i did some research on that and i found that a lot of people just block that off completely. So i cut a piece of cardboard to fit and bolted it between the throttle body and the IAC vavle until I could find out what's wrong and how to fix it. So that's my first thing. Next is my tranny. I just have an AOD. Nothing special. But after the crash it's been acting funny. I'll be driving and let off the gas and it will roll like normal and then it feels as if it's catching a gear and start slowing down pretty quick. But it's still in the same gear. It only does that in 3rd and 4th/OD. Also the other day this guy in a newer charger wanted to race me and stepped on the gas and so did I and the engine revved up but it didn't speed up and then finally it felt like it caught and there was a smell that I'm pretty sure was burnt tranny fluid. So I have some ideas of what they could be but I wanted to see if any of you had the same or even better ideas. I really appreciate all the help.

• Sponsors (?)

sounds like you burned a band in your tranny.

have you every changed the fluid? if the fluid is old or burnt you may get lucky and get away with just a fluid/filter change.

as for the IAC you need that!!!! check the surging idle checklist in the sticky at the top of the forum and it will show you how to set your idle and track down problems that cause surging idle.

I think it's been a little over a year since the fluid and the filter has been changed. I'm not sure if you've seen my other post, but it's about how I didn't save the wiring harness from the computer to the instrument cluster and my car was the El Cheapo version so it didn't have a tach and a volt gauge and the old speedo only went to 80. So when I put in the instrument cluster from the other car that had the 5.0 I had to rewire the plugs to get things to work. I got everything to work minus the tach and the volt gauge because those wires weren't there. So as far as checking the RPM's I really can't do that.