Need help with GT40P or GT40 Heads

jamesharper2

Feb 14, 2011
Hey all!

Got some questions about swapping out gt40/p heads and intake from an explorer/mountaineer onto a 94 mustang gt.

1. Is any other year better than the other? My buddy says I want to try and find the gt40 heads from a 95-96 explorer any help?

2. I know I need the intake as well, but since mine is a 94 is there any other mod work required? Iwill not be running the EGR and will be using the elbow that comes with the intakes.

3. I have read that some need new headers or plug wires. Mine has ford motorsports shorties on it now with the standard wires, will this be ok?

Thanks for the help.

Any thing else anyone can think of?

• Sponsors (?)

There are millions (ok maybe thousands) of threads on the gt40 vs gt40p heads....

Google search....threads are here, corral.net, and tons of other mustang sites. SVTperformance.

I went with gt40p's...slightly higher compression, "improved" exhaust side....the only "down side" to make one consider the gt40's is the spark plug angle which affects the headers. But....my mac long tubes fit fine. Its close...but they fit.

Get a drink, and a snack....and start searching and reading and writing (you'll find so much u wont remember). It truly is the best way....years of info is 10 times better than a single present day thread.