Need Help With Pilot Bearing!!!

I was replacing my clutch and flywheel so I decided to replace my pilot bearing and the damn thing wont come out. I borrowed a pilot bearing puller from autozone and it pulled the center right out of the bearing, but the outer piece is still in there. I don't know what to do and I dont really want to be drilling so close to the crankshaft. Help!!!

• Sponsors (?)

mine did that and i had to keep working at it, the teeth on that puller should fit behind that part of the bearing, if not you have the wrong size jaw on the puller, i also had the slide hammer attachment when i did mine. still took 30 min.......... just try and stay cool cause that thing will pi$$ you off.

good luck

jason

Just put the pilot bearing puller back in there, then screw the center bolt in farther, it will spread the puller out more & grab the remainder of the pilot bearing. Mine did the same thing, just keep at it & it will come out.

Mine did the exact same thing. The pilot bearing metal is very soft so just get a small chisel and beat it into pieces with a hammer. This is how I did mine. Once you bash it a few times it will begin to break up and you can pop the pieces out with a screwdriver. Don't be afraid to hit the hell out of it. You won't hurt the crankshaft.

There are two grooves that the pilot bearing has. These grooves is where you put the arms to the puller into. They should be at 3 o'clock, and 9 o'clock. They might not be, but they will be opposite from each other for sure. Look for them, then get the jaw arms into those grooves, and open the arms as much as humanly possible. THen get the slide hammer, and whack it at till it comes out. It may take a while, be patient. Have someone else help you because you need to whack hard, and you may get worn out.

But make sure you get into the grooves, because once you do, it's really easy.
Scott

I have a different typr of puller. Mine kinda screws into the bearing and then u pump grease into it. The grease goes behind the bearing and forces it out. Its to late for that now but I suggest to all stangers to use the one like I have. If you haven't scaared it up to bad you might be able to fill it up with grease and get a punch that fit in the bearing tight. Then hit the put it will comress the grease and force the bearing out. MAY work? I've taken plenty out that way.

i had this same problem, the first time i chiselled away at the bearing until it came out, and the second time i drilled out peiced of metal on each side of the bearing to release pressure then it came out alot easier with the puller.

will 4193 my buddie has one of those things, kinda like a grease gun, but has a soft metal fitting on the end to push into the pilot bearing, you keep pressure in while pumping grease in behind it. has worked on a couple cars but not most. When we tried it with my car the grease started to come out of the end of it, where the threads are. but the pilot bearing did not

jason

I have just filled the hole of the pilot bearing full of grease until I could not get anymore in, then I think I used like a 7/16 in socket form 1/4 in set and filled that with grease, put on a small extension so grease wouldn't shoot out at me and his with a hammer, has worked a few times!!!!