Need Opinions

Ety

Jan 1, 2005
CT
I am looking for a project car for this summer so I can have it running by next summer. I looked at a 73 Coupe for $1,500 with "351C BORED 40 OVER, NEW 750CFM HOLLEY AVENGER (4 Months of use on it), COMPLETE MSD IGNITION W/ DIST., EDELBROCK PERFORMER INTAKE, K&N EXTREME FILTER, HEADMAN HEADERS"
The guy blew the rear tire on the highway and the truck area and shell is totaled and the front right fender is messed up, the owner said it ran mid-11's and looking at engines like it it looks like it would do 450ish RWHP and that would do a 11 second 1/4. The owner is in the Navy and is leaving in 2 months and the cars in a Public Storage so I am thinking of getting it right before he leaves to get the price down. Would the motor be worth the $1,500 or what ever I get him down to? It has front disks and collasable steerign colum, how hard would it be to swap those into a 68?
I also found a 67 roller for $1,000 and a 68 with 289 for around $1,200 and I was wondering how hard an engine swap into one of those would be. What do you guys think I should do, I am thinking of getting the 73 and parting out what I can then getting a 68 after. Also how hard is it to replace fenders and 1/4 panels (not skins, whole parts)

• Sponsors (?)

personally i think the guy is pulling your leg when he says it runs 11's in the 1/4 mile. that car will need around 450-500 hp to do just that due to its weight, and the engine mods listed dont even scratch the surface in getting there. is it worth $1500 with the body damage? dont know i would have to see it first, but i would say not likely. the engine is worth around $300-500 depending on condition, and swaping it into an early stang is easy enough, yes even in a 65-66 car.