Need to make my exhaust legal. pissed about it.

Milenko

Skid Mark Layer...only not fro
Founding Member
Nov 5, 2001
Boston, MA
So I failed emissions, miserably.

I have a UPR O/R X pipe and flows, and I absolutely love the sound, but it looks like I need to swap out my midpipe to get past these damn emissions tests.

What do you guys suggest? I don't really want to spend a ton of money, I'm actually looking for the cheapest way to do this, but keep a great sound.

I'm up for anything, so lets hear the opinions. If I have to swap the midpipe, I'll try to sell my UPR on the classifieds or something.

• Sponsors (?)

Milenko said:
So I failed emissions, miserably.

I have a UPR O/R X pipe and flows, and I absolutely love the sound, but it looks like I need to swap out my midpipe to get past these damn emissions tests.

What do you guys suggest? I don't really want to spend a ton of money, I'm actually looking for the cheapest way to do this, but keep a great sound.

I'm up for anything, so lets hear the opinions. If I have to swap the midpipe, I'll try to sell my UPR on the classifieds or something.

Not to come across the wrong way but, uh, what did you expect?! It IS an OFF ROAD mid-pipe so of course it's going to fail emissions! lol

Anyways, just get yourself some high flow cats welded in to the O/R X or swap it for a catted X and that should take care of your emissions woes. Good luck!

-J

Milenko said:

Borrow and swap in a stock H just for the test or weld in some hi-flow cats

I don't have to pass emissions test here in Florida, but I still saved my old factory H-pipe just incase FL decided to pass an inspection law. Find some one that will be willing to let you borrow there factory mid-pipe to pass inspection.

I obviously knew I was going to fail, but I didn't have a choice.

I was supposed to have emissions done next year, but since I unregistered the car and reregistered it, they needed to do emissions. I didn't know that, but I needed some sort of sticker.

Never did I expect to pass, but you never know what $20 will get you :D

How much are high-flow cats? is that the best way to go?

Also, if I went the high-flow cats route, what would I need from here (autozone):

cats.JPG

Here in GA we just have to pass an ECU test, so no CELs, and you're good to go. I've done it with an off-road pipe and dumps. :)

Bolt your factory back in, it only takes 30 minutes.

I had 2 new converters welded into my midpipe. The converters that were on it went bad after 2 months. :( They were pretty cheap.

I think it cost me somewhere around $200-$250. It sucked! So I'm sorry you have to get some converters, but if I were you, I'd go ahead and get a good stainless steel pipe, like a Magnaflow or SLP ( I think theirs are stainless). Plus, someone mentioned SLP has removable cats. For you that might be the way to go.

V_Eight said:
Here in GA we just have to pass an ECU test, so no CELs, and you're good to go. I've done it with an off-road pipe and dumps. :)

Bolt your factory back in, it only takes 30 minutes.
Actually, that would be nice.

Does anyone know if MA does the sniffer still? Now that I think about it, he never had the chance to put the sniffer in. He plugged the computer in and because I have no MILs, it failed the ECU test.

So I guess I should be asking, does MA still do the sniffer, and if so, THEN I need the cats, if NOT, then I put some MILs in and I'm set to go.

When was the last time you got your car tuned? I had a 95' GT with a Pacesetter O/R H and I passed the FL emissions test with flying colors. The only thing I was worried about was the vissual inspection... so I duct taped some cat shields around the pipes then painted them to match.

stangboy999 said:
When was the last time you got your car tuned? I had a 95' GT with a Pacesetter O/R H and I passed the FL emissions test with flying colors. The only thing I was worried about was the vissual inspection... so I duct taped some cat shields around the pipes then painted them to match.
Not since I've owned the car, 3ish+ years?