needed to put came from 351W into 86 roller 5.0?

stang9gt

Founding Member
Dec 21, 2001
State College, Pa
I have an 86 mustang motor in my 84 bronco. I want to get the comp cam 260H
4x4 torque cam but it is for a 351W which isn't roller and my 86 5.0 is. Do I just need to get the cam and flat tappet lifters, throw them in and go??

• Sponsors (?)

dont just put them in...it wont work well, they may fit into your lifter bosses, might need some machine work but i'm not positive. the cam lobes will be different in construction between flat tappet and roller lifter. you would have to get a roller cam if its a roller block, its a better to go roller anyways, less friction. i used a comp cams 351w in my 5.0, it was a roller cam and everything went in great, never had any problems with it.

stealthracing said:
dont just put them in...it wont work well, they may fit into your lifter bosses, might need some machine work but i'm not positive. the cam lobes will be different in construction between flat tappet and roller lifter. you would have to get a roller cam if its a roller block, its a better to go roller anyways, less friction. i used a comp cams 351w in my 5.0, it was a roller cam and everything went in great, never had any problems with it.

All the good 4x4 torque cams are made for the truck motors which were all flat tappet.

First of all the gear is not bigger, it's the material they are made from that is different. They are both Windsors. For the flat tappet cam you will need a cast iron dist. gear, not steel. No machining of the bosses is needed either, quite a few vehicles came stock with flat tappet cams and a roller block. You will need longer pushrods if you decide to use a flat tappet cam. :nice: