New 03 Cobra Shift Light, Chip, etc

AmdMAN said:
Sorry to bother you with this but is the J3 port very visible on the ECU? Like I said I had the kick panel off and couldn't see much of anything but I am not sure what to look for either.
Okay... You really can't see the port where a chip is mounted by just removing the kick panel. The whole EEC has to be removed because the port is on the opposite end from where the harness plugs in.

Here is what you see when you remove the kick panel. (None of these photos are '03 Cobra specific, but they are from a SN95 Mustang) As you can see the EEC is tucked up in there pretty good.

eec-vstock.jpg

Here is a shot with the harness disconnected. There are a few electrical connections that may be in the way along with some plastic snap retainers and such. All of these need to be dealt with before you can remove the EEC.
eec-vremoval.jpg

This is what the EEC looks like once it's fully removed. In this photo a Vortech chip has been mated to the EEC's auxiliary port which is on the opposite end from where the harness plugs in.
eec-vwithchip.jpg

If you were to open up your EEC it would look something like this. The left side is where the wiring harness connects and on the opposite end of the circuit board is the auxiliary port where an aftermarket chip would mount. As you can see from the factory the contacts are completely covered with a protective coating. This coating has to be scraped off and the contacts need to be lightly sanded in order for the chip to mate to it and properly make contact. By doing this a cars warranty is voided. Ford service departments often look for a tampered auxiliary port when there's a question as to whether a car has been modded or not.
01_eec-iv.jpg

Hope this helps!

U.M.

• Sponsors (?)

Uncle Meat said:
Okay... You really can't see the port where a chip is mounted by just removing the kick panel. The whole EEC has to be removed because the port is on the opposite end from where the harness plugs in.

Here is what you see when you remove the kick panel. (None of these photos are '03 Cobra specific, but they are from a SN95 Mustang) As you can see the EEC is tucked up in there pretty good.

Here is a shot with the harness disconnected. There are a few electrical connections that may be in the way along with some plastic snap retainers and such. All of these need to be dealt with before you can remove the EEC.

This is what the EEC looks like once it's fully removed. In this photo a Vortech chip has been mated to the EEC's auxiliary port which is on the opposite end from where the harness plugs in.
If you were to open up your EEC it would look something like this. The left side is where the wiring harness connects and on the opposite end of the circuit board is the auxiliary port where an aftermarket chip would mount. As you can see from the factory the contacts are completely covered with a protective coating. This coating has to be scraped off and the contacts need to be lightly sanded in order for the chip to mate to it and properly make contact. By doing this a cars warranty is voided. Ford service departments often look for a tampered auxiliary port when there's a question as to whether a car has been modded or not.

Hope this helps!

U.M.

U.M. of course you are the man. There is a Diablosport on the J3 port.

AmdMAN said:
Well I have been in boost like crazy in the past week and a half, because I had no idea it had a damn pulley. So if there is damage im sure its already done... I bought it at the local CarMax, so I am sure they didn't even know what a programmer was.... I guess I need to purchase the extended warranty before my 30 days are up, they sold the car, and promised to warranty it, its not my fault they didn't check to make sure it wasn't modified.

I really doubt anyone will honor a warranty. Save your money. Unless you are going back to stock pulley. The upper pully is a warranty buster.

TheDukeOfEarl said:
I really doubt anyone will honor a warranty. Save your money. Unless you are going back to stock pulley. The upper pully is a warranty buster.
I believe he was referring to the warranty that was provided to him by the used car dealer where he purchased the car, not the original Ford factory warranty.

U.M.

Good catch! All I looked at when he posted this were his MAX HP/TQ and the AFR's. Now that you pointed out those other things I'm wondering if the owners/operators of this particular dyno facility have even a remote clue as to what they are doing!!!

U.M.