New 2004 Cobra

Hey I just traded in my Corvette for a 2004 Mustang Cobra. I got bored of the automatic Vette and was skeptical about trading to a Cobra but I have never been happier! Now its time for modifications..where do i start? My goal is to eventually make this car as fast as possible while remaining street legal.

• Sponsors (?)

BlownSnake04 said:
Hey I just traded in my Corvette for a 2004 Mustang Cobra. I got bored of the automatic Vette and was skeptical about trading to a Cobra but I have never been happier! Now its time for modifications..where do i start? My goal is to eventually make this car as fast as possible while remaining street legal.

For around $1500 :CAI, Catback Exhaust, pulley, Predator
440/460 - 480/490 depending on pulley selection .

Once that isnt enough, you can either do the apten Eaton port, or just ditch the eaton and go with the KB or Whipple for unlimited power

peace

BlownSnake04 said:

Is your drive-train warranty important to you? Answering this question will make it easier for us to give you recommendations.

U.M.

What kind of fast are you looking for? 1/4 mile or corner carver? It does make a difference. I know I am one of the few people that actually makes turns at the track :D The 03/04 Cobra is a good car for either. Your mods will just be a little different.

TheDukeOfEarl said:
What kind of fast are you looking for? 1/4 mile or corner carver? It does make a difference. I know I am one of the few people that actually makes turns at the track :D The 03/04 Cobra is a good car for either. Your mods will just be a little different.

I want the car to be as fast as possible while remaining street legal. Also I dont want it to be strictly a 1/4 mile car. I'd prefer the corner carver.

On a road corse type car you need to fix your weight distribution. Stangs are really front heavy. There are several mods that will help. Move the battery to the rear or even better. get two 6 volts and move them to the inside of your rear bumber. Next is the K member. that is a very heavy piece. Getting the tube K will cut weight and allow you to move your engine back a bit. Tube arms helps and allows coil overs. Much better than the std. springs and allows adjustment at the track.
As far as power you can add most any of the after market mods. Exaust, FIPK, ported blower. Really the power on the stang is very good even stock. Heat is a big issue in a corner car. 1/4 mile you dont have the blower heat soak issues as bad. Remember you will be running 4k-6k RPM for 20-30 mins at a time. The heat exchanger really needs to be replaced and a electric water pump helps too. My next mod will be to dump the Eaton and go with a Vortec. The Eaton heats the air too much because of the contact with the engine. The vortec stays a loot cooler.
So to sum it up. Worry about weight, suspension and Temp more than HP. Also work your driving skills. unlike 1/4 mile, corners require more driver and less car. Heal -toe, Trail breaking, late apex. Lots of skills to learn.

Always have fun!

Reckless said:
hey guys i was wondering whats the most the stock block and tranny can hold on a 03 cobra, also is there a tuning guide around? :banana:

I have seen a article about a 04 that was converted to twin turbo and was pushing over 950 hp and 925 torque. Our 03/04 engines are not like the other 4.6's We have a iron block, not Alu. We have a forged crank and rods. Our engines are already "Built"
Our Trans is good to the mid 600 hp range. Over that and you are looking for a big boom! Even at the 500 -600 range its life is shortened. If you are looking for a stronger T56 try http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/
Their built T56 is rated to 900 HP and 800 Torque.

Hope that helps :flag:

The Duke