New best 1/4 mile time

washMO66

Founding Member
Oct 30, 2001
Washington, MO
The weather cooperated and we had a good full day of drag racing at Gateway International. Test & Tune format all day and it was a good time.

Didn't get the results I expected but I did set two new bests, I ran the best ever et as well as my best ever 60'.

Here is my best ET of the day;

60' - 1.589
330 - 4.580
1/8 - 7.126
MPH - 96.22
1000' - 9.346
1/4 - 11.246
MPH - 117.72

I had one 60' for the day that was better, 1.576. With the 6 cyl springs and the 90/10's it is transferring weight much better.

Here were the problems - The car just won't hook. Every pass I had multiple people tell me I was spinning, I dropped all the way to 10PSI but acheived my best 60' at 12 PSI.

2nd Problem - I changed from a 3.70 gear to a 4.11, with a 3.70 I had a best ever trap of 119MPH, with the 4.11 today 117.72 was the best I could get and I had alot of 115 & 116 MPH runs. I was crossing the line at 6700RPM most passes and honestly my car was dead flat in third gear from 6200 on up, just wouldn't pull. My CAM is the XE282HR but I either need a 28" tire (I run a 26") or maybe a gear between 3.70 and 4.11.

Honestly I think I am done trying to wring out any more out of this motor, it's time to move on and get a little more serious. Maybe I'll drop this motor in that 65 Comet caliente 4 door I am lookig at.

A couple pics, not sure if you can see the board but this is my best time and one misc crappy burnout pic, my 13 year old son was in charge of the camera.

View attachment 394133

View attachment 394135

View attachment 394137

• Sponsors (?)

yep sounds like 28's would be a good bet. Your XE282 should pull past 6200rpm. You have the intake to pull past aswell. What springs are you running? Are they the factory AFR 185 springs? If so perhaps you need a little more to avoid valve float and get that engine pulling more the 6200rpm. It really should be right in the middle of its power curve right there. I have no doubt you know what you are doing so I ask what timing are you running? What is your Air/Fuel ratio? You could be losing your power there.

I'll go backwards

Sorry no video but someone at the track caught me on a couple runs and said they would send it to me.

Suspension is just 5 leaf reverse eye, Rancho 9 way adjustables (set on 7 yesterday) and a sway bar. Front is 6 cyl springs, 90/10's no sway bar. Other than that just let go of the transbrake a pray...

Hook, you know it would be tough to get a 28" tire under our cars.... Why were you not running... or were you?

Springs were from COMP and are supposed to be matched to the CAM, my motor guy even double checked them and they all checked out. The last time I had it to the dyno we never really made any pulls over 6100 or so, (I don't know why) and while I don't remember what the A/F was he said it all looked good, however, that was through exhaust, I'm sure it leaned down a bit with the straight dumps, I might want to take it for a spin with a fresh plug in and see what it looks like. Timing is at 36 degrees full advance last time I checked. I think your on to something with the A/F, I may fatten it up next time to see if it makes a difference.

I'd stick with the 26's. Addind 28 would help a little, but you will reduce your gearing again, AND add rotating wait. Which could drop the MPH more. Could go up because of the different gearing and more expansion. But a bigger tire takes more HP to turn.I'm going back to 26's myself. I'm runnning 28's because I couldn't pass up the deal. The car ran better with 26's.

I just seems wierd to me that the cam and intake are wanting more rpm and you say it is falling flat. I was looking at the AFR web site and i see a 302 with there 185 heads on it and it makes make hp at 6100rpm. So you could be right about the drop off. I believe they were running your exact cam and intake. You have more cubes but perhaps you really need a solid roller to get it over that rpm that is if you even want to .

Na-na-na-na-na-nah, I've still been faster than yoooo-oou!!! LOL!!

But not by much 11.15 @ 118, but that's old skool 289 with iron heads and 8000 rpm shifts, and well, a Jerico and 5.43 gears. You'll probably be faster than me before I see you at WFC.

Roger did say if I lost a few pounds he'd let me make a pass in his Falcon, it's at Duffy's shop now getting a kidney bar put in, I think he said to meet 25.1.E specs.

I think you need some weight over the rear axle, maybe about 200#. When we put weight in Kevin's '68, it went faster than without because it hooked on the line better. I seem to remember you have solid motor mounts, do you have travel limiters on the front end? Hard to tell without seeing a pic or a video of a pass.

I didn't think you had done any body mods to fit the 28's. Go back to the 3.70's and stiffen the rear a little and it should bite and stay a little more level. Mine should be out Tuesday I hope. Doing some last minute stuff and had my son with me to just watch Sat. Eakins car was THE ****.........and he left a lot on the table too!!!!

Congrats on the new time!

By the looks of the pic it seems that you are really hooking on the line. :nice: You are getting plenty of weight transfer with the new springs. It could be hooking initally then unloading the rear tires as the front end comes down. A video of launch would really help. Hooking is easier said than done, I haven't figured it out yet and I am a good bit slower than you.

Several drag race gurus on another board recommend setting the passenger side rear shock 1 click stiffer than the driver side because of the natural torque tendancy to hit the passenger tire harder. It is the same tendancy that sometimes allows the driver side front tire to lift before the passenger front.

Your cam should rev just a bit higher than your old XE274HR. If I remember correctly, it used to pull to 6200? If the springs are ok for your current cam then you may be on to something thinking it may be going lean at high rpm.

Yeah, you need travel limiters. I know Art Morrison makes a travel limiter kit for $45 (85855600 Cable Front Travel Limiter Kit (C) ...45.00) but I think if you look at that picture, you can make your own. Jerry Bickle might carry some, I can't find it on their website, you could get some tabs from Bickle if you want (touring his place on a Saturday is COOL!!!)

I didn't think you had done any body mods to fit the 28's. Go back to the 3.70's and stiffen the rear a little and it should bite and stay a little more level. Mine should be out Tuesday I hope. Doing some last minute stuff and had my son with me to just watch Sat. Eakins car was THE ****.........and he left a lot on the table too!!!!

Was that you and your son yelling over when I was in staging asking about times?

Did AMT build your Dart 331? You guys want to see a fast coupe you should see Hook and Ladder's run, he runs the street car shootout on Tuesdays at Gateway and he has a Dart 331 with a big ole healthy shot of juice. What does it run on NOS?

10.50's 10.60's? and it is a total sleeper, white coupe, red interior.... I aspire to run as quick as his ride (well, maybe a little quicker:D )