New car, new mods?

Jspronk

Aug 9, 2007
Pipestone, Mn
Hello, i am relatively new to this site but i must say i am quite impressed with it so far. I am a noob here so please cut me some slack. Recently i have purchased a 2006 ford mustang gt. I am enjoy this car very much and if you ask me it is perfect the way it is. Recently though i have been thinking of adding a few minor add ons to make this car even better. I was thinking on the line of rims, exhaust, and air intake. If anyone would of so kind to maybe show me some pics of rims or recommend brands that would be fantastic. Exhaust i have some knowledge on it but really dont know a whole lot. All i know is that with the right exhaust you can get a few more extra ponies which is something that appeals to me. Really i would prefer power then sound but i do have a very tight budget. Air intake i also do not know a whole lot about except it adds more power. If anyone could recommend any brands or specific types that would help me out a ton. I do have a very tight budget so i have so watch some of the prices, also i am a noob and do not know a whole lot about cars. Any help though would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Heres my car:

Attachments

• IMG_0284.jpg
    IMG_0284.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Sponsors (?)

hey man, welcome to the site. I'm a recent join myself :) I really like the white stripes on black

From what I've gathered after hours of researching, the first thing you'll want to do is get the car breathing better so a Cold Air Kit with a REQUIRED custom tune will be your biggest power gain.

For the exhaust, you won't see too much of a gain from an axle-back system in regards to horsepower. The # will be in the single digits) however you can get the Mid-Pipe and that'll help out a bit.

Intakes I've heard to be the best are C&L & Steeda. I'm personally going with the Steeda.

Best thing to do is just use this site and see what others have posted. I'm sure your questions have been asked more than once. ;) The search feature is very wise.

Opinions are given quite freely around here too, find out what works for you and your budget.

Ford did a good job on the exhaust believe it or not, it takes quite a bit to squeeze more HP out of the system (very $$$ for relatively little gains). Buy your mufflers for sound, and get to the rest later. Your best bet is to buy yourself a popular intake brand and get a tune, I've read that makes the biggest difference. It cleans up the throttle response and gives you better power in the right places.

A short throw shifter (if you got a manual) would be a great investment. To me, its one of the best mods. It makes the car that much more fun to drive.

Enjoy your new ride, it looks great! Happy modding.:nice:

I think my winter project will be from www.BreenSpeed.com ,
C&L CAI 95mm, SCT 93 tune, BBK Throttle body, Under Drive Pulleys and Cams.
Approx. $2,200 for all componets (no labor) to hopefully gain 70 rwhp., not to shabby??!! Check out his "tech" article about the cams, so I knocked a little hp. off from the article, as I will retain the stock exhaust stuff. The cams are 1K if you want to piece it together seeing no one has a money tree to do everything in one whack??!!

I read about the cams, but it said they are similar to stock cams until you rev it up. When I get cams I want it to sound like it's got some huge cams in it, lol, let us know how it sounds.

I got the JLT Intake and Xcal2 from Brenspeed for $554. Its the best mod for your money for these cars. I would also consider UD pullies and an aluminum driveshaft.

I'm assuming that since Brent told me this that it must not be a secret. You should see a new cam on Brenspeed within the next few weeks. It will be nearly identical to the one they sell now except it should have a chop to it at idle. They are working with Comp Cams on it since the biggest complaint by most of his customers is that if they are going to spend the time and money on swapping cams then they want to be able to hear it. Don't know about you guys but I feel like Ralphie waiting for that Red Ryder on Christmas.

By the way, I just put my strut tower brace in but it doesn't seem to be faster :rolleyes: