New car time? Any previous, recent, or current 350z owners?

Romeo46LV8

Founding Member
Mar 24, 2000
Philadelphia (suburbs), PA
For starters, I have NO intentions of trading in and/or selling my current stang. As much as it will hurt, financially, to not have a trade-in on something new, life's short so screw it. :D

I'm finally at point where the Mustang can become the secondary "fun car" (ie. start on some of the big mods) and I can afford a different daily driver.

That being said, I would still like something that has some get up and go. Its been tough trying to narrow down the field, but I think I've finally settled on one I like. The Nissan 350z (Grand Touring package). Does anyone have any experiences with these cars or Nissan in general?

This would be completely outside what any of my friends or family own or would buy so I have no experience what so ever with the Z. Anyone that's had any experience be it good and bad, and could provide any feedback, would be greatly helpful. Thanks!

(Side note: The other contenders for new cars were: 4Runner - too big, G35 coupe - still possible, new GT - too similar, GT500 - too much $$$, & 330xi - a bit over my price range)

• Sponsors (?)

My friend has one, its a nice car inside (and some what out depending on your taste). Handles well, gets ok mileage, and he hasn't had any problems with it. I wouldn't ever buy one though, just not my thing.

The AWD in the WRX would be great for PA winters, but I don't dig that car at all. Don't get me wrong, its outstanding performance for the price, but there is something about the car that I don't like - let alone make me consider buying one (I'd probably get an EVO first...)

And of course having driven nothing but RWD cars here in good ole PA all my life, its difficult, but not impossible to do in the winter...usually...:bang:

Thanks for the feedback so far! :SNSign:

You might want to do a little research on the 350Z with a factory defect, something to do with the front end alignment eating up tires in under 10k miles. My brother was really close to buying one when he came across this information, and got an Audi A4 instead.

Pros: Handles well, good acceleration, looks good.

Cons: Doesn't respond to bolt-ons, BAD BAD stereo, cheap plastics interior although our Stangs aren't great either.

03 models had tranny issues and as mentioned 03,04 had tire feathering problems. Also, if you get an earlier model, there is a recall out now on the rubber hose of the fuel tank.

Good luck with your choice.

DaNd4Speed said:
You might want to do a little research on the 350Z with a factory defect, something to do with the front end alignment eating up tires in under 10k miles. My brother was really close to buying one when he came across this information, and got an Audi A4 instead.

It was an 03 problem and to my knowledge has been fixed. It happened on my moms 03 G35 coupe but didnt on my sisters 04 G35 coupe.

But if I where to get a DD, I would get a G35 sedan. More convinient with 4 doors, new body style out soon if not already, still good looks, 300hp, and handles great.

i worked for nissan for a little over 2 years. I demoed a lot of z's, 40k miles, 0 miles ....everything. The cars are great, but the are a sports car, there is a lot of road feedback and noise, they dont offer a lot of room and they do shew up tires. Its not that big of a defect, it more or less, soft tires on a sports car that cant be rotated....that eats tires. The potenzas they put on them are noisy as hell though and do tend to howl after a few k. Thats really all i can say bad about them.

Now they are fun as hell to drive, chicks dig them, all you need is wheels and exhaust for looks. The exhaust is one of the best sounding on the road IMO. buy an enthusiast, add your own leather if you desire, and your own stereo. the only things you lose are power seats and the crappy bose.

ask me specific questions if you want....

I have an '06 350Z as my daily driver. It is a perfect track car and functions well as the DD but lacks a great deal in functionality when it comes to moving more than two people or large items. The downside is that I enjoy driving it so much that I started autocrossing with it. Now I find myself eating up valuable Mustang time with race time in the Z.

Get the '06. 25 more HP and corrected chassis alignment are worth the extra buy in price. Avoid all the extras like cruise control, power seats, navigation system. Stick with the base model and save your cash for things like Brembo brakes and a decent stereo.