new Challenger

_jb_ said:
After doing a quick search of the 5th gen Camaro, I can not find any pictures of it. I didn't save them either...damn.

I'm not a GM fan, but do you mean this?

162006144750.jpg

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=3124

• Sponsors (?)

srothfuss said:
Third, It's shorter than the Charger..... Who said a 40+ family man can't have his cake and eat it too?

That is if you call driving a car (the Challenger) that is 10" longer, 8" wider, 3" taller and weights 600lb, more than a 05/06 Mustang, will probably cost $8K more and not have any more interior room having your cake and eating it too.

351CJ said:
That is if you call driving a car (the Challenger) that is 10" longer, 8" wider, 3" taller and weights 600lb, more than a 05/06 Mustang, will probably cost $8K more and not have any more interior room having your cake and eating it too.

I suspect the Challenger will have a bigger/more useable back seat and a much bigger trunk than the Mustang.

66Satellite said:
I suspect the Challenger will have a bigger/more useable back seat and a much bigger trunk than the Mustang.

From this photo, the back seat in the Challenger does not look any more useful than the Mustang's back seat:
WKA2006010780371_pv.jpg

Attachments

• WKA2006010780371_pv.jpg
    WKA2006010780371_pv.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 51
351CJ said:
From this photo, the back seat in the Challenger does not look any more useful than the Mustang's back seat:
WKA2006010780371_pv.jpg
i agree, the back seat looks small in this shot.

Attachments

• WKA2006010780371_pv.jpg
    WKA2006010780371_pv.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 36
It will be larger than the Mustang... It will cost more, but it would be nice to drive around town in a pony car (new off the showroom floor) that isn't just another mustang. Not that I am anti Mustang, but I am pro-competition.

srothfuss said:
It will be larger than the Mustang... It will cost more, but it would be nice to drive around town in a pony car (new off the showroom floor) that isn't just another mustang. Not that I am anti Mustang, but I am pro-competition.
its gonna be just another challenger soon.

To a point, the Mustang's are everywhere and so are the older Camaro's / Firebird's. It would just be nice to see a Challenger running around....

The big plus that I see is that there will be no supply issues with getting a Challenger. Unlike the Mustang, Chrysler will not have 6+ month wait times for the V8 models. Plus when the SRT-8 version comes out (you know it will) they will make as many as customers order.

srothfuss said:

Yes on the outside the Challenger is a lot larger than a Mustang, 10" longer, 8" wider. 3" taller. It also has much longer overhangs than the Mustang, especially in front. So far it doesn't look like the interior is significantly larger than the Mustang. And it will weigh 600 - 700 lb more than a Mustang GT.

The point is the market for a HUGE, HEAVY car that only comfortably seats 2 people and gets horrible gas mileage is very limited. If DCX does bring out a new Challenger, my prediction is that it will have a very short production run (just like the original Challenger) because no matter how cool the new Challenger looks ( I admit it does look real slick ) the market for such a car is very limited, especialy with gas prices where they are.

I am planning on rewarding myself in 2009 when I graduate Law School. I was originally going to buy the Shelby Cobra. However, if they tweak that Camaro's grill, price that Challenger right, or make a new Firebird, that Cobra is going to have to compete for my affections.... I am loving it!

351CJ said:
Yes on the outside the Challenger is a lot larger than a Mustang, 10" longer, 8" wider. 3" taller. It also has much longer overhangs than the Mustang, especially in front. So far it doesn't look like the interior is significantly larger than the Mustang. And it will weigh 600 - 700 lb more than a Mustang GT.

The point is the market for a HUGE, HEAVY car that only comfortably seats 2 people and gets horrible gas mileage is very limited. If DCX does bring out a new Challenger, my prediction is that it will have a very short production run (just like the original Challenger) because no matter how cool the new Challenger looks ( I admit it does look real slick ) the market for such a car is very limited, especialy with gas prices where they are.

I agree that if it doesn't end up having a useable back seat it won't last long. Every die hard Mopar guy will buy one but then it will be over. However, if it has a decent back seat and they can keep the price down it might do fairly well. And the 250HP V6 gets half-decent mileage. I still think they screwed up big time by not making a two door Charger. Oh well...

66Satellite said:
I agree that if it doesn't end up having a useable back seat it won't last long. Every die hard Mopar guy will buy one but then it will be over. However, if it has a decent back seat and they can keep the price down it might do fairly well. And the 250HP V6 gets half-decent mileage. I still think they screwed up big time by not making a two door Charger. Oh well...

A V6 Challenger will be a complete sales flop. Just as Ford is already having trouble selling V6 Mustangs. Let's face it a 2 door car is just plain NOT a practical car for anyone with a family.

I agree that if they build it Chrysler will sell a reasonable # of Hemi Challengers (25,0000 / year ) to the MoPar gearhead loyalists and even a few to conqust customers. But the market for 425 HP, 2 door toy cars is very limited.

351CJ said:
A V6 Challenger will be a complete sales flop.

I dunno. I've been surprised how many folks on my classic Mopar board are saying they just want the cheapest manual V6 for a daily driver type car--assuming it comes in at low 20s. I think the V6 Mustang maybe has a stigma from the rental fleets. A slightly more sophisticated V6 car could do well (remember, it has IRS, lol).

66Satellite said:
I dunno. I've been surprised how many folks on my classic Mopar board are saying they just want the cheapest manual V6 for a daily driver type car--assuming it comes in at low 20s. I think the V6 Mustang maybe has a stigma from the rental fleets. A slightly more sophisticated V6 car could do well (remember, it has IRS, lol).

Saying they want one and actually putting their money down are two very different things.

Any you're looking at the wrong audience, classic Mopar board. Go to Honda, Toyota, Nissian, BMW, etc chat sites and see how many of them are talking about buying one.

The V6 Mustang is struggling because the typical consumer is now import brand oriented and the Mustang lacks creature comforts that gearheads buying a V8 will overlook but daily driver customers will not.