New Cobra!

Leaf

Aug 30, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Hey there guys! After a long time of looking I have finally gotten my 97 Cobra.

I have attached a couple of pictures below.. let me know what you think. :D

2372619_1_full.jpg

2372619_2_full.jpg

2372619_4_full.jpg

2372619_3_full.jpg

:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

Yep, springs, headlights, and antenna are the first things to come.

When putting springs on it do I have to also put cc plates? I have heard that when lowered it wears your tires more because they will sit more at an angle.

Is this true?

Leaf said:
Yep, springs, headlights, and antenna are the first things to come.

When putting springs on it do I have to also put cc plates? I have heard that when lowered it wears your tires more because they will sit more at an angle.

Is this true?

Yes you will need CC plates. When you lower the car you change the roll center and camber settings. Unless you lower the car correctly you will seriously hurt your handling. If all you want is the slammed look then most people just live with bad cornering and freeway wandering. If you are lowering for corner handling then you will need a few things.

Start out with X2 ball joints and CC plates. This will give you a 1/2 inch drop and actually improve roll center.

If this isnt low enough then you will need to look into bump steer kit. With out the kit and the ability to check and set bump steer you will have rather poor handling and a car that seems to have a mind of its own when you hit rough road or heavy corner compression.

If cornering is your desire then Coilovers are the only way to go. The stock springs are very heavy and in a position that causes binding in your LCA bushings. Coilovers give you almost a 1:1 wheel spring rate reading. A huge reduction in weight and suspension bind.

Suspension is a tricky thing to get right. Everything you do has a big effect on lots of things. A good place to look for what you need is maximum Motorsports.

Here is a picture of some of the mods I did last year. See how big and bulky the old spring and LCA is compaired to the Coilover and tube arm.

Attachments

• Suspension 022a.jpg
    Suspension 022a.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 105
If you are looking for springs tire rack was a special on thier Kazera springs, the give you 1.9 drop in the front and 1.6 in the rear. This is thier house brand but they are made by H&R with the same rating as the H&R sports for $119. I just put a set in my 97 cobra.

CHRIS

Thanks for all of the comments guys. Also, good information there Duke!

And no, I haven't thought about changing them, I like them. =D If I were to change them I would probably do R's or the black bullits like CobraII has.

Being that I just bought it and paid $400 yesterday for a head unit and installation I'm not going to be doing rims for a while.

But I sure am enjoying driving it and the looks I get.