New headers, how to keep stud in?

Fastcat

Founding Member
Mar 5, 2002
St. Louis
I bought a set of FMS headers and I cant seem to get the studs (where the headers bolt to the H-pipe) in without them backing out when I take the nut off of it that I used to tightened it down. Is there a trick to this?

• Sponsors (?)

double nut it, or thread them in as far as you can by hand, then install them. Once you go to tighten down the nuts that hold the h-pipe to the header flange, the studs will thread all the way in until they get tight and then the nuts will tighten down. Piece of cake, don't overthink it.

I had the same thing happen when I did mine, so I picked up a set of stainless nuts @ Home Depot, and put them on the studs as they came through the flange to keep them in there.

Here's a pic..

headerproject1.jpg

ss93cobra said:
Wasn't necessary as the studs will not thread all the way through the header

They did on mine... If you get them all the way to that little ridge, they not only come all the way through the flange, it makes it all the way to the other side of the nut. Maybe the studs were different on yours, or you didn't thread them in all the way.

Edit:

Are you talking about the FRPP headers specifically? I notice you are running MAC's, and in my old BBK's the stud didn't come all the way through. On the FRPP ones, they come all the way through with plenty of thread for a nut, and even a nut with a washer.

:shrug:

Okay. :rolleyes: Of the header brands I've installed ( Mac, BBK, Ford Racing to name a few) none have ever threaded all the way through the header flange. I suppose anything is possible, but the design itself seems ignorant.
BTW, I was running Motorsport until I switched to the equal length Mac ones.

Not trying to come across as a jerk either, just answering.

ss93cobra said:
Okay. :rolleyes: Of the header brands I've installed ( Mac, BBK, Ford Racing to name a few) none have ever threaded all the way through the header flange. I suppose anything is possible, but the design itself seems ignorant.
BTW, I was running Motorsport until I switched to the equal length Mac ones.

Not trying to come across as a jerk either, just answering.

Hey man, no problem. I wasn't trying to be one either. On my BBK's, the old one in the pic, the studs did not come through the flange. The new FRPP ones I just put in came just shy of coming through the top of those nuts in the picture. I actually needed WD to get them all the way in because the coating was in the threads. I'm guessing most don't come through as you said, the FRPP's are likely just an exception to the rule..well...at least the newer P style ones.

No offense meant!

:) :cheers:

Edit:

Here's a pic that isn't the best, but shows what I mean. The stud comes almost all the way through that nut, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. ;)

stud2.jpg

I just did mine last month. The studs for the FRPP headers are tapered a little. they WILL screw all the way on. They tapered the studs so that it gets a little tighter as you thread it into the header flange. I used a set of vice grips for mine. Just be careful not to damage the threads. There should be enough room on the portion without threads to get a good grip.

Thanks guys I got it, and I installed my motor and it sounds good, havent drove it yet though... These Motorsports headers are awesome!! Very easy to install.

Insane3D those are the same headers I've had... Lol, Ive also had a pair of those mac headers in the pic too.... They are garbage one you remove them from the engine!!

Fastcat said:
Thanks guys I got it, and I installed my motor and it sounds good, havent drove it yet though... These Motorsports headers are awesome!! Very easy to install.

Insane3D those are the same headers I've had... Lol, Ive also had a pair of those mac headers in the pic too.... They are garbage one you remove them from the engine!!

Glad to hear you got them on, and yes, they are a dream to install. The headers in my pic were actually old BBK ceramic before they had the one piece flange, but they are essentially the same as the MAC's...