New headlights pullin too much juice?

Jagerbeast

Mar 7, 2010
Virginia
I just had some new headlights installed, they are dual halos (havent hooked up the his part yet). When i have the lights on my head unit starts flashing, but when i put on just the parking lights it stops. I believe they are 12v for each side, i dont have a system hooked up. Think they are pulling too much juice? Is this something i should get a larger alternator for? Pretty sure when i hook up the HID's they will be pulling even more power

• Sponsors (?)

Havent had a chance to unplug em yet, but last night my bro wanted to see em, so i turned the parking lights (halos) on, for about 30 seconds, then i tried turning the main lights on, and they just went dark. Car made a strange noise and almost sounded like it was going to cut off. It sounds like its powering down, and when it does that the low battery light flashes. I'll probly need a new battery, but Is there some kind of power draw going on here that a new battery wont fix?

Look at the harness and connection for your headlight switch, as well as to the multifunction switch in your steering column. I wouldn't be at all surprised, to find one, or both of them nice and melted. Ford ran the full current through the switches, rather than use a relay, so it's a common problem for them to go bad over time. All it takes is a little corrosion and the added resistance it brings along with it, and they start to cook.

I don't know the year of your car off hand, so here's both 94-98 and 99-04 parts:

94-04 Mustang Headlight Switch
94-04 Mustang Headlight Switch Connector
94-98 Mustang Turn Signal Lever Assembly
99-04 Mustang Turn Signal Lever Assembly

I didn't find a new connector and pigtail for the multifunction switch in my quick search, but I'm sure they're out there, if yours is bad.