New help on 87 mustang 2.3L temp sensor

74Mach1v6

Aug 11, 2003
Cumberland,Va
where does the wire go that hooks to the temp sensor on the motor because my temp gauge is not working and i change the sensor and the whole cluster twice.i got 13 volt on that wire.does anybody have better wiring diagram than haynes book???????????:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

There's two sensors, one for the gauge and one for the fan...or maybe that was my Merkur motor... Autozone has some wiring diagrams online, or just search around on the internet. I think Stinger has some on his site too.

The sensor for the gauge is in the block...driver's side rear of the block. ~6" down from the engine deck (surface between head and block). ~3" from the very rear of the engine. It's just a small 1/2" dia or so thing sticking out of the block with some small threads coming out the end...there should be a single wire on those threads.

I think there are 3 temp sensors, one for the gage, one for the computer (ECT) and another one for the cooling fan control.

The gage one is located as noted above. The gage wire goes through the firewall and to a connector that connects with the harness that plugs into the gages.

The ECT sensor has at least 2 wires, and is connected to the engine harness, and goes to the puter on the pass side.

The fan sensor is wired to the IRCM or CCRM, which is the cooling fan and ac control module. Not sure if it has one or two wires at this moment.

The autozone has pretty decent wiring diagrams. Note that the 4 cyl wiring varies a bunch by year. Your 87 is most likely somewhat like my 89, and has the IRCM version of the module under the dash to the left of the steering wheel.