New Injectors

imp

Mustang Master
Jul 13, 2017
Suggested by @vristang that perhaps my horrible fuel mileage is due to leaking injector(s). Got to thinkin', I have 8 brand new ones sitting in the corner of my shop. They are in the last of 6 new 5.0 HO engines I bought from Ford Performance when they were closing them out, about 1997. They were all intended for '95 Mustang use, as produced. Next to last, my nephew recently got running in a '65 Galaxie. Questions of a new engine sitting 20 years went away: it runs beautifully! This encouraged my to cannibalize. My '94 GT has 161,000 miles, no reason to believe the injectors are not original. Time to go!

Here's the big brace I found under the hood, unfastened, to allow raising the upper manifold.

new_in10.jpg

Shocked by what I found when I raised up the manifold! Two big mounds of hairy stuff, obviously rodent nests. I sucked it all out with shop-vac, two "thumps" indicated probable mummified remains. This was very common in Missouri, but I've never seen it before in the Desert, after a total of 25 years here! The car may have spent time elsewhere, of course, but was originally titled in CA.

new_in11.jpg

new_in12.jpg

Manifold out of the way, I will raise fuel rail up off of injectors, but not remove it from the car, then remove injectors one by one, this all after first blowing out any remaining debris, dust, etc. with compressed air. The bright white blow-out is paper towels, protecting ports.

new_in13.jpg

new_in16.jpg

Here's the new injectors! Believe that hulk is brand-spanking new? Followed me around the country for 20+ years, about time it's put to good use! Note how Ford ships new engines: The thermostat housing still has a plastic cap over it. So do the fuel rail connections. Every possible opening into the engine was protected in some way. Oil pan filled at assembly point. Note gray no-name Ford oil filter also supplied.

new_in14.jpg

Notice the fuel rail has been removed and set aside. Cleanliness (?!!) is important.
new_in15.jpg

I suppose an injector install has been illustrated here many times before, so if I ought to stop here, say the word! Otherwise, I'll finish tomorrow with the actual injector remove/install. imp

• Sponsors (?)

You bought 6 new 5.0s? Hopefully you made a profit on the other 5. Why haven't you dropped that one in yet?
I did! Figgered at $2195 per, the individual parts bought separately coming to way over 6 or 7 thousand, it had to be the bargain of a lifetime. Trying to remember: first one went in to a 1/2-ton Toyota pickup, guy installed it himself, what he used for a gearbox, I never knew. I installed harnesses, fuel system, PCM, other incidentals. Second was a '72 Maverick, w/C4, ran really nice. Third a '70 Bronco, w/4X4, that one needed massaging of the T-5 to fit Dana Transfer case; Learned Jeep used a T-5, but had different sized 5th. gears, so bought gears and adaptor from, Jeep. Worked out OK. 4th. went into a lawyer's son's '68 Mustang. They were very pleased. 5th. and 6th. were following me around as I moved several times, my nephew, active in Marine Corps, took one while stationed at Fort Leonard Wood, MO (we lived in MO then), that in about 2007 or so, the 6th. you're seeing here. Nephew recently got his running in a '65 Galaxie ex-289, which will be leaving MO before Labor Day, towed on a trailer behind a Chevy (ugh) PU, his wife following in her rice-burner, bound for Laughlin, NV, and my house! The vehicles remain with me while they spend his stint in Japan, maybe 3 years.

Why haven't I dropped it in ? Good question. Given a BIG failure, I will, but the original runs really well. Question is,. how much cannibalizing of the new one makes any sense? imp

Put in the new ones today. My old camera pretty poor for close ups, but the general idea shows. New, on right. Not much can be seen different. Guts inside tell the story. In 161,000 miles the injectors have been energized hundreds of millions of times, maybe close to a billion! Definitely an accomplishment on the part of the designers and Engineers.

new_in17.jpg

new_in18.jpg

Installed, with fuel rail in place, but not bolted down.
new_in19.jpg

Old injectors inserted in new engine, just to close up the access holes to the runners. Fuel rail will be installed to protect injector fuel inlets.
new_in20.jpg

Disassembling the air intake ducting, I removed Throttle Body and Mass Air ducts together, from the upper intake manifold, and let them lie there. The EGR valve was removed entirely, after loosening (difficult) upper feed tube nut, and removing valve from intake manifold.
new_in21.jpg

Note (with difficulty, sorry) fact that fuel rail mounting holes are elongated vertically, to allow fully seating the rail and injectors. The idea is to take up clearances present to tolerances in the parts, by placing force downward on the rail while tightening the two screws per bank.
new_in22.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll throw the manifold back on, button up everything else, double-check for tools, parts, screws, etc. not being left behind, and pray. imp

You can send injectors off to be cleaned, flow-tested, and rebuilt as necessary. They can even be balanced as a set if you desire.

Here's an example outfit. Look for one that convenient for you:

https://www.injectorrx.com/
@Noobz347
Thank you for the info. My biggest concern with injectors this old is not so much of clogging or needing cleaning, as consideration for the fact that mechanically, they've cycled those tiny moving parts so many times. Nothing lasts forever, but these things come close! imp

Well, before completely buttoning up, I had my wife cycle the key on and off a number of times, while I looked for leaks. Nothing! Good deal. Now I get to reinstall the EGR valve, and later figure out how (if) to replace the little gray plastic slider part which allows the Speed Control cable to slide back and forth as the throttle is moved by foot, which got broken in the melee. imp